PDA

View Full Version : Gunshy posting (I'll explain)

dtpucci
17th July 2007, 07:29 PM
I'm a young old guy of 66 years of age. I have been the leader of several benevolant charity organizations for more than 25 years. I only say this to try to impart to you what type of person
I am. Not perfect, of course, but not one lacking charity and integrity.
At another forum, I was a short-time member because of the response I made in private to
a female moderator. Anyhow, I was a new member and did read rules about spamming, etc of which
I applaud because I detest spamming. What I did was to put a link to a site that permits one to
download computer and technical books with no obligation from the person except becoming a forum
member such as this one. After downloading several books and noticing I wasn't getting any spam
messages from them I posted the message on the linux forum site. After a day or two I received a
very testy email from a female moderator who was very, very rude and disrespectful. I replied to her that
I had no intention of spamming and didn't think that I was. I was only trying to help some poor student
who couldn't at present pay for a book to help him learn. I told her that she was very RUDE and
disrespectful. For this she removed me from the forum and I read later in a message to a fellow
moderator that I replied in a F. U. attitude which of course I didn't.. By the way, it has been proven that
people who read ebooks very often purchase the hard copy and many authors make avail to their texts
on this premise. The result of this is that I don't use their distro anymore because I don't ascribe to
militant moderating and disrespect of persons. Kindness goes a long way and I try to be kind to everyone
I meet if they'll permit me.

sailor
17th July 2007, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the forum!
The only thing that might be an issue is if the link is to pirated e-books. I know there are many free books available and that would be ok. We have run into someone unknowingly posting a link to pirated materials, the link was removed. Just make sure that the link/site is legit. The fact that the site you are talking about is a forum it may violate the guideline, it would probably be ok to post the url in your signature.

If you want to add a link (not for advertising, profit or piracy) put it in your signature, something like:
Free linux books http://xxx.xxx.xxx.

Was it the Ubuntu forums that kicked you? :p

dtpucci
20th July 2007, 05:06 AM
No I had no prob with Ubuntu. I usually run 3 or 4 distros. I have fc7, suse10.2 and mandriva 2007 + winxp
which will soon go to wipepart heaven. The distro was one from my home state of West Virginia. Not usual for
very rude ladies from WV. :-)

marcrblevins
20th July 2007, 05:43 AM
Just don't marry WV chicks. Just kidding.

If you post on here, someone will let you know politely if you are abusive/spamming. Then you will have to stop.

On the upper right of this webpage, there is the Guidelines, you can read there first to see if it fits your needs.

You may use this forum thread or Wibble if ya promoting something, right guys? I better read the guidelines myself.

Welcome to Fedora Forum.

dtpucci
20th July 2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks to all for the cordial welcome. I hope that I can be useful in some way
to help others. I've been using Linux since late 1999 and still have a long way
to go. Notice I said using and not learning. heh heh

sailor
20th July 2007, 04:18 PM
It would probably be ok to put the link in the "Linux Chat" section...and yes we will warn you. We try to be fair with our moderating duties (although some banned folk might disagree). :p

Our main goal here is to help each other...no one person knows everything... so ask a question and if able to, answer a question...and try to have fun :)

Dan
20th July 2007, 05:14 PM
Fair?! FAIR?! FAIR?!

Just remember that comment came from a sixgun-toting Texan who openly frequents the wrong side of the tracks!

And ... then there's Bob!

<..:p..>

Seriously, dtpucci, this is probably the best bunch of hooligans I've ever had the opportunity to slum around the net with. I think you'll find it quite enjoyable, probably useful, and ... very addictive. <..:D..>

Dan

dtpucci
20th July 2007, 07:32 PM
TangledWeb, are you related to Sagebrush Sam? I can see that we can have fun on this forum.
Actually, I have forgotten what that link was to for the free books. heh
I'll find it if someone wants it but most gooroos know how to search for free tech books.

Seve
20th July 2007, 08:13 PM
Hello:
dtpucci
I'm pretty sure you have little to be worried about ..... but then again ....

You haven't said anything bad about beer have you ?

Sev

John the train
20th July 2007, 09:47 PM
Wait till you meet Wayne, then Seve's reference will become clear!

Dan
20th July 2007, 10:49 PM
TangledWeb, are you related to Sagebrush Sam? ... Never heard of 'im. But whoever he is ... he may not appreciate the damage to his reputation by the inference. <..:p..>

Dan

GallComp
21st July 2007, 12:40 AM
Well dtpucci, you have now meet the cream of our community (except Bob), and as can you see they are moslty sane (except bob) and respectful... Posting Links wont get you banned, unles you are seling Xbox's for $200 or handling free nokia phones (stick around and you will find what do I mean).

The staff here doesnt really like to ban people (except Bob and Me), so you are mostly safe. Have a cold one and enjoy the forum (just be aware of Bob)....

Iron_Mike
21st July 2007, 12:44 AM
Welcome to Fedora Forums......dtpucci. Notwithstanding your previous encounters, dissatisfaction with certain forums we're "all good" here. Don't mind the rest of the dysfunctional misfits that frequent this venue.

sailor
21st July 2007, 03:39 AM
most of the misfits have already responded...still waiting on wayne...:p
bob is a madman!

Wayne
21st July 2007, 03:58 AM
most of the misfits have already responded...still waiting on wayne...:p
bob is a madman!

All I have to say on the matter is :p

Wayne

leadgolem
21st July 2007, 05:09 AM
Welcome dtpucci. If you are relatively new to fedora you may want to browse through the Fedora FAQ. It is a bit dated, and is missing some important things for x86_64, but still useful.

John the train
21st July 2007, 08:06 AM
All I have to say on the matter is :p

Wayne
To slightly mis-quote the ' Goon Show ', " Time for the beer!! " ( FX thunder of feet ). By way of extenuating circumstances Wayne is the forum's ' real beer ' guru - among other things. :D

Wayne
21st July 2007, 09:57 AM
To slightly mis-quote the ' Goon Show ', " Time for the beer!! " ( FX thunder of feet ). By way of extenuating circumstances Wayne is the forum's ' real beer ' guru - among other things. :D

To beer is human, to ale is divine :D

Just came back from BBQ supply shopping and picked up my two 10 litre kegs for tomorrow! Hope it doesn't rain otherwise I'll have a ton of food to give away, I think I may be able to handle the beer alone though :rolleyes:

Wayne

dtpucci
21st July 2007, 06:43 PM
rondonjin, It is a pleasure to meet a fellow beer lover. Of course, in you case it looks that you have progressed beyond mere LOVE of beer. And to think that a looooong time ago my grandpa used to make beer and other
tasty beverages. A nice operation during the 1930's depression era in the usa. My father told me many funny stories about their dispensing of this wonderful "home brew". But, alas, I never learned to make it. It's too bad that we can't,
as yet, make a beer dispensing forum using the star trek technology of materializing a great brew from one country to another. yum!

John the train
21st July 2007, 07:42 PM
Don't know haw you did it, dtpcci, but you managed to repeat your reply to a different thread here! :eek:

dtpucci
21st July 2007, 07:54 PM
I thought I deleted the extraneous post, sorry.

GallComp
21st July 2007, 07:56 PM
I fix it already... :)

Babo-Pangulo Travel Photos - Pitea - Axochiapan Photos