PDA

View Full Version : My quick version of firefox for AMD 64 bit ( optimized for K8 )

leigh123linux
6th July 2007, 05:59 PM
I was sick of the slow firefox in Fedora so I built my own customized rpm for my K8 CPU.

Rendering CSS improved from 884ms to 644ms & Get All DIV's improved from 82ms to 60ms

To check this download the attached file and open with firefox

And the rendering test on this site

http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/test-rendering-time

improved from 6.648000 to 5.376999

Browsing seems quicker and more responsive and firefox seems to load quicker ( I dumped the language pack and shrunk nearly 10MB of the size )

firefox-mozconfig

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig

ac_add_options --prefix="$PREFIX"
ac_add_options --libdir="$LIBDIR"
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe "
ac_add_options --without-system-nspr
ac_add_options --without-system-nss
ac_add_options --without-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --without-system-zlib
ac_add_options --without-system-png
ac_add_options --with-pthreads
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-installer
ac_add_options --enable-xinerama
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2
ac_add_options --disable-xprint
ac_add_options --disable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-pango
ac_add_options --enable-system-cairo
ac_add_options --enable-svg
ac_add_options --enable-canvas
ac_add_options --enable-xft
ac_add_options --disable-ipv6
ac_add_options --disable-updater

export BUILD_OFFICIAL=1
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
mk_add_options BUILD_OFFICIAL=1
mk_add_options MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1

If you are interested it is available here ( firefox + firefox-devel + firefox-debug + firefox.spec +
firefox-mozconfig = total size 17.35 Mb )

http://media1.filewind.com/g.php?filepath=8932

GregLee
7th July 2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your efforts. I just tried it. I can't yet tell anything about speed, impressionistically. I tried the render-test site you refer to and got 9.067, then went back to 32 bit firefox (from Mozilla.org) and got 9.353.

I get a warning message which I am reasonable sure is because of a mistake I made in compiling libgobject (on my fc6 system). But for the record it says
***MEMORY-WARNING***: firefox-bin[746]: GSlice: g_thread_init() must be called before all other GLib functions; memory corruption due to late invocation of g_thread_init() has been detected; this program is likely to crash, leak or unexpectedly abort soon...I have no idea what is going on there.

leigh123linux
7th July 2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your efforts. I just tried it. I can't yet tell anything about speed, impressionistically. I tried the render-test site you refer to and got 9.067, then went back to 32 bit firefox (from Mozilla.org) and got 9.353.

I get a warning message which I am reasonable sure is because of a mistake I made in compiling libgobject (on my fc6 system). But for the record it says
I have no idea what is going on there.

It seems to run ok here , did you try the ccs test file at the bottom of the page and try a local test as the scragzs site will include download time as well.( I got a 11.00000000 last night when the server load was high )

GregLee
7th July 2007, 05:25 PM
did you try the ccs test file at the bottom of the page and try a local test as the scragzs site will include download time as well.I hadn't, but now I have. The box at the upper right says 923ms for 32-bit Firefox, but 756ms for the version you compiled. Clicking "Get all DIV's" gets 59ms for 32-bit Firefox, but 49ms for your version.

leigh123linux
19th July 2007, 02:17 PM
I have rebuilt 2.0.0.5 to a similar spec

firefox-2.5.tar.bz2 (http://media1.filewind.com/g.php?filepath=11180)

Wasquehal Photos - Castaic Photos - Rajpur