PDA

View Full Version : GRUB Loading stage2... blink blink blink

bgoodr
17th June 2007, 11:53 PM
Hi folks,

First post from a Red Hat and FC Linux old-timer (Used FC5 recently), but this one has me stumped. I'm seeing only a blinking cursor at a point in the GRUB boot sequence.

My goal is to ultimately install x86_64 for 64bit development, but I'm here I'm just trying FC5 x86 install media since FC6 x86_64 media is not even showing the installer screen.

First, the hardware: I'm building a brand new AMD64 system from scratch. All new hardware, except as indicated by (old) below:

Motherboard: Abit KN9 SLI (NVidia NForce 570 SLI) (v1.00 on sticky, BIOS version 19)
RAM: Corsair Twin 2x2048-6400 (DDR2-800) (4GB total)
Video Card: XFX PVT71JUHE4 GeForce 7950GT 570M 256MB DDR3 HDCP DUAL DVI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 65W AM2 2.4Ghz Dual-Core (OPN: AD04600CUBOX)
Power supply: Seasonic S12 430W
DVDRW: Plextor PX-740A
Floppy drives: Combo 3.5" and 5.25" (old)
HD: Seagate 320G ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3320620NS

I am not dual-booting. Harddrive is in the first onboard SATA connector. There is only one SATA harddrive. There is only one IDE connector, and it is going to the DVDRW drive that I'm using to boot the install media.

Initially, I tried installing FC5 from CD's I had. I know those CD's are good because I used them to install on a previous 32bit system. After installation, I reboot, and then I see the following onscreen (cursor is blinking at <blink>):

Verifying DMI Pool Data ...........
Boot from CD :
GRUB Loading stage2...
<blink>

<ctrl>-<alt>-<del> does nothing, so I assume the boot process is hung inside GRUB.

I then rebooted into the FC5 rescue CD (disc 1):

At the anaconda prompt (I think that is what it is), I entered in:

linux rescue

I entered in English as the language, and US for the keyboard. I said "Yes" to networking using DHCP. Got past the helpful screens about chroot'ing to /mnt/sysimage, and saw the root prompt.

Just to test networking, I was able to ping www.google.com successfully from the shell prompt after booting into rescue mode above.

At that # prompt, I then ran fdisk -l, thinking that this might be an SATA-versus-GRUB interaction as I see reported several times elsewhere:

sh-3.1# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 38913 312464250 8e Linux LVM

I also took a look at the grub conf:

sh-3-1# cat /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img

The grub device.map file reads:

sh-3-1# cat /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub/device.map
# this device map was generated by anaconda
(hd0) /dev/sda

For what its worth, uname -a also from the rescue root prompt shows:

sh-3.1# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 #1 Tue Mar 14 15:48:03 EST 2006 i686 unknown

I've also tried installing the FC6 x86 iso, but using the single DVD install media instead of the CDRW's as I did above for FC5, and I found the exact same behavior.

Here are my questions:

Anyone know what might be going on here?
Why does the "linux rescue" booting work just fine, but the booting from the hard drive does not?
Is there some debugging or verbosity flags that can give me more detail right before GRUB (or whatever GRUB is executing) hangs?
Why is that boot=/dev/sda commented out during installation? Should it be uncommented out?

Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
bgoodr

SlowJet
18th June 2007, 12:11 AM
Fedora 7 is the current release and has more stuff for your newe computer.
Version 5 is EOL and the FC6 gold is not so shinny.

I would bet the F7 dvd x64 would go in without a fuss. :)

SJ

bgoodr
18th June 2007, 12:21 AM
Fedora 7 is the current release and has more stuff for your newe computer. <snip>SJ

Good point. But since both FC5 and FC6 had similar results, I was hoping someone would have seen this issue before before I try FC7.

But, I'll download just the first FC7 x86_64 CD (not DVD, as my laptop lacks a DVD burner) and see if it hangs in the same way. I'll report back the results.

Thanks!
bgoodr

bgoodr
18th June 2007, 12:25 AM
But, I'll download just the first FC7 x86_64 CD (not DVD, as my laptop lacks a DVD burner) and see if it hangs in the same way. I'll report back the results.

Well, that didn't take long! :) FC7 dropped support for the CD isos. I'll look for some other avenue to get FC7.

SlowJet
18th June 2007, 12:50 AM
You can drive up I-205 to Holgate and I'll give you a copy. :)

Or you can do a http network install with the boot.iso.

SJ

bgoodr
18th June 2007, 01:43 AM
You can drive up I-205 to Holgate and I'll give you a copy. :)

Or you can do a http network install with the boot.iso.

SJ

LOL. I've chained an older IDE drive onto the one (and only one) IDE connector on this motherboard, and am downloading the ISO now. Hopefully the "askmethod" install from local ext2 harddrive will work here.

The boot.iso I am hoping to use was gotten from one of my mirrors at ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/linux/7/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/ but I do not see a SHA1SUM or md5sum file for that. I guess it is not needed since it is so dang small?

For my future reference: I believe this is the same boot.iso as referenced by http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=812080&postcount=15

bgoodr
18th June 2007, 05:08 AM
LOL. I've chained an older IDE drive onto the one (and only one) IDE connector on this motherboard, and am downloading the ISO now. Hopefully the "askmethod" install from local ext2 harddrive will work here.

The boot.iso I am hoping to use was gotten from one of my mirrors at ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/linux/7/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/ but I do not see a SHA1SUM or md5sum file for that. I guess it is not needed since it is so dang small?

For my future reference: I believe this is the same boot.iso as referenced by http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=812080&postcount=15
I downloaded the boot.iso to my laptop, burned it to a CDRW, and booted my new machine using that CDRW. While I was doing that, I managed to use wget from the FC5 install on the new harddrive (via linux rescue in network mode) to download the F-7-x86_64-DVD.iso file to a local harddrive (this is an old harddrive I installed onto the IDE cable). It is an ext2 filesystem.
Now that I have the big DVD .iso file on that system, and now that I have the boot.iso CDRW booted up, I see a text menu with these entries:
Install or upgrade an existing system
Install or upgrade an existing system (text mode)
Rescue installed system
Boot from local drive

There is also a statement below the menu about using the TAB key to add options. When I do that, I see a line of editable text that begins with "vmlinuz ...".
So, I know that my DVD iso file resides on /dev/hdb1, and that when I mount /dev/hdb1 the path to the file is isos/F-7-x86_64-DVD.iso. So how do I tell this boot.iso menu to go there and start installing from it? I've googled until my fingers bled trying to find out any info on how to exactly do a install from a local harddisk, but all I see is statements saying that it can be done but no explicit instructions for actually how to do it on the boot.iso from FC7.
How do I do that? (i.e., where do I put "linux askmethod" as is documented elsewhere)

Edit #1: BTW, I tried using disc1 of the FC5 install media to do a harddrive install of the FC7 DVD iso, but it terminated abruptly and then shutdown. I'm not surprised really... I'm downloading the smaller rescuecd and going to be burning that next.

Edit #2: and the burn of the rescuecd shows the same menu as the boot.iso, so perhaps its the same bits. Shucks, now trying one of the FC7 Live CD's...

bgoodr
18th June 2007, 03:53 PM
The Live CD is 800+ MB and won't fit on a CD. So, I'm back to trying to figure out how to get the rescuecd to install from the DVD iso I have stored on a ext2 partition on a different drive. Anyone know how to do that? I've done a lot of web searching for this and have turned up nothing.

Thanks,
bgoodr

SlowJet
18th June 2007, 04:19 PM
See this thread, there are several ways being explained.
Note link to an RPM for setting up a grub boot for a iso start up.
Note the last part explaining iso on a disk.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=158226

SJ

bgoodr
19th June 2007, 04:06 AM
Much thanks SlowJet!! I'll pour through that thread and see if I can make sense of it.

bgoodr

bgoodr
19th June 2007, 08:10 AM
Hi SlowJet,

In http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=811774&postcount=2 you said:

To get the kernel img and the initrd you copy them off the iso to the current boot partition
to do the copy you need to mount the iso and cd to it mntpoint.

Can you confirm for me that the kernel img and initrd files are to be copied from the "isolinux" directory relative to the contents of the DVD iso? I am believing this is the case from reading at http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg01571.html which I quote:

I usually do upgrades via Anaconda by copying the vmlinuz and initrd.img
from the isolinux dir on the install media to my /boot and then adding
an entry to /etc/grub.conf to boot into Anaconda and do the Upgrade.

Since I'm creating a grub boot floppy, I think I need to copy some stage* files there (after reading the post at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=764090#post764090). I think I need the stage files from the FC7, and not from the /boot directory on the current FC5 SATA drive, but will it matter? If it does matter, then where do I get those stage* files from inside the FC7 DVD iso file?

Thanks,
bgoodr

stoat
20th June 2007, 12:15 AM
Hello bgoodr,

Now that I have the big DVD .iso file on that system, and now that I have the boot.iso CDRW booted up, I see a text menu with these entries:
Rescue installed system
Boot from local driveThere is also a statement below the menu about using the TAB key to add options. When I do that, I see a line of editable text that begins with "vmlinuz ...".
So, I know that my DVD iso file resides on /dev/hdb1, and that when I mount /dev/hdb1 the path to the file is isos/F-7-x86_64-DVD.iso. So how do I tell this boot.iso menu to go there and start installing from it? I've googled until my fingers bled trying to find out any info on how to exactly do a install from a local harddisk, but all I see is statements saying that it can be done but no explicit instructions for actually how to do it on the boot.iso from FC7.
How do I do that? (i.e., where do I put "linux askmethod" as is documented elsewhere)See if this works to allow you to boot from the boot CD and install from the F7 DVD ISO on your hard drive (it did for me): Boot with that boot CD again. After the inital BIOS screen(s) for your computer finish, you should see a momentary black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. That screen is followed by another very brief text menu screen. To me it is practically a flash that is impossible to read. It is then followed by the graphical (Welcome to Fedora!) menu that you have described above. You can pause that quick text menu by pressing the <ESC> key when you see that black screen and blinking cursor that appears moments before it. If you catch it just right it will abort, and this is what you will then see...
- To install or upgrade in graphical mode, press the <ENTER> key.

- To install or upgrade in text mode, type: linux text <ENTER>

- Use the function keys listed below for more information.

[F1-Main] [F2-Options] [F3-General] [F4-Kernel] [F5-Rescue]
aborted.
boot:_It's a familiar menu from previous versions. That boot prompt is where you can type linux askmethod, and you will arrive at the dialog box where you select Hard drive and point the installer to the location of your ISO file. After that, the familiar graphical installer should start, and from there you can go through the normal installation procedure.

P.S.: I just discovered that you can abort that boot sequence and acquire the boot prompt by simply pressing the <ESC> key at the graphical (Welcome to Fedora!) menu. The only difference is that you don't get the description of the available options from the text menu. You only get a big black screen and this in the upper left corner...boot:_But that is all you need to enter linux askmethod (or any other option for that matter) and launch vmlinuz. And all of this applies to booting with the Fedora 7 DVD.

EDIT FOR THE RECORD: I now realize that boot options like text and askmethod can be appended to the vmlinuz line by pressing the <TAB> key during that graphic menu screen. I am so steeped in certain traditions that I didn't really see that or consider it before. What I have been saying is not wrong, just unnecessary. Live. Learn.

bgoodr
20th June 2007, 02:55 AM
Much thanks for your helpful reply to one of my original questions, Stoat. You said:

It's a familiar menu from previous versions. That boot prompt is where you can type linux askmethod, and you will arrive at the dialog box where you select Hard drive and point the installer to the location of your ISO file. After that, the familiar graphical installer should start, and from there you can go through the normal installation procedure.

The part colored in red is where I see another hang. The screen at this point reads:

- To install or upgrade in graphical mode, press the <ENTER> key

- To install or upgrade in text mode, type: linux text <ENTER>.

- Use the function keys listed below formore information.

[F1-Main] [F2-Options] [F3-General] [F4-Kernel] [F5-Rescue]
aborted.
boot: linux askmethod
Loading vmlinuz.................................
Loading initrd.img........................................ ......................
Ready.
<blink>

The "aborted" is presumably coming from the handling of the escape key I pressed (had to press it several times as the screen flashes by very quickly as you had indicated).
The <blink> is where the cursor is left blinking, and do not see the expected behavior you described in red above. This seems like a hang, doesn't it? <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Delete> has no affect, and I have to use the reset button on the chassis to reboot.

I tried the FC7 rescue cd too and saw the exact same behavior. I also tried "linux rescue" with the exact same behavior.

I'm pretty convinced this is an Fedora installer (or kernel) issue since under FC5 I am able to actually use the "linux rescue" command from the FC5 disc #1, versus some issue with a bad SATA drive or controller.

One of the reasons why I thought I would try creating a GRUB bootable floppy, was that I thought it would be a way to direct GRUB to add additional options to force GRUB (or the kernel) to dump out more verbose messaging about what GRUB (or the kernel) is trying to do right before GRUB (or the kernel) hangs. Hmmm, having said that, and having looked at the lines containing all of the periods above, maybe the machine has gotten past GRUB, and is actually loading the kernel off of the CD, and is hanging in the kernel. Is that the case? If it is the Linux kernel that is hanging, then is there some verbosity level or debugging messages I can turn on to get the kernel to dump out its progress so that I can isolate the root cause? Is there a debugging kernel I can switch to (perhaps driven by a GRUB bootable floppy that loads a debuggable kernel off of the spare IDE drive)?

Thanks again to the both of you for all your help,
bgoodr

stoat
20th June 2007, 04:13 AM
Hello again bgoodr,

I'm sorry that things are still not working.

Since this is a new machine that hangs with both FC5 and FC6 around the time of booting the kernel, and the F7 installer hangs around about the same point (even though the FC5 & FC6 installers worked), I was wondering if this new machine has ever booted any operating system? I'm thinking hardware or BIOS issues perhaps. Someone better than me will have to help with that. But in the meantime look at other boot options (in addition to askmethod), one of which might help get these kernels or the F7 installer going in this new machine...

See post #4...
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=417

See particularly section A.5.2...
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/ap-admin-options.html

I've been fortunate to never have had to resort to hardware related boot options with the Tyan and Intel boards that I have been using all the way back to RH7.3. So I have no personal experience using them. While you wait for an expert opinion on hardware boot options, it shouldn't hurt to try some of the more pertinent sounding ones.

bgoodr
20th June 2007, 04:37 AM
Thanks Stoat. I'm ready to try just about anything at this point. I'll read through those links you provided in the interim.

bgoodr

bgoodr
20th June 2007, 05:18 AM
...I was wondering if this new machine has ever booted any operating system? I'm thinking hardware or BIOS issues perhaps....

I just managed to Boot into the "FDOEM.144.gz" FreeDos floppy disk as referenced by Gentoo HOWTO Create a DOS boot disk wiki page (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_a_DOS_boot_disk), as I'm now in the process up updating the BIOS from my current BIOS version (ID 19) to BIOS ID 20.

bgoodr

bgoodr
20th June 2007, 07:25 AM
My attempt at flashing the BIOS failed. I tried two different DOS boot disks.

Tommorrow, I'm going to RMA the motherboard and try either a new one of the same type, or switch to the AN9 32x.

bgoodr

stoat
20th June 2007, 11:39 PM
bgoodr,

My attempt at flashing the BIOS failed. I tried two different DOS boot disks.If the BIOS program didn't get ruined attempting to flash it, and if you haven't returned the board yet, and if you have the disks to do it, try installing XP or Vista on it just to see how it functions. Obviously, you don't have to activate or allow it to connect to the Internet; just see if they install and function; then uninstall.

You can also read some other threads similar to yours. I think you will find them interesting. I did...

Fedora7 DVD is flawed. (http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=157330) posted by Ullrich
F7 hangs just after the third line "READY" (http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=156491) posted by tbl
Bugzilla Bug 239585: F7 CD/DVD hangs with message "Ready" if any sata-drive is connected (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=239585)

There are a lot of posts to read, but if you take your time raking through them, you will find some interesting things. Some people have managed to fix this in a bizarre way. The best theory and fix for this surrounds the SATA drive.

bgoodr
21st June 2007, 05:22 AM
Again, your help has been greatly appreciated! I will definitely pour through those links in detail. I don't have standalone XP or Vista (I have a XP recovery disc for my IBM T42p Thinkpad laptop, but I would be surprised if it behaves reasonably on this new desktop ... I'm fearful of trying it even).

No, I have not RMA'ed the original motherboard yet, as I still have time. I purchased another one of identical model from a brick and mortar store (i.e., another Abit KN9 SLI). It originally had BIOS ID 18, versus the first motherboard had BIOS ID 19.

I succeeded in flashing the BIOS on this second board tonight.

bgoodr

bgoodr
22nd June 2007, 04:20 AM
I've made my way through those threads, and Ullrich (http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=815400&postcount=76) is still actively pursuing this too. And on a different motherboard and manufacturer than mine (with possibly similar BIOS which may be the other commonality here).

The new Abit KN9 SLI motherboard I purchased still exhibits the problem. The FC7 boot.iso boot CD exhibits the same hang at "READY" as reported by those links stoat had indicated in post 18 of this thread. So the BIOS update did not fix the problem either.

I tried an additional experiment as follows to see if it could be the onboard SATA controller logic:

I disabled the onboard SATA controller in the BIOS
I saved the BIOS and exited, and then while it was rebooting, I powered the system down.
While the PC was turned off, I disconnected both the SATA data cable and its power cable.
I then powered the system back on, leaving the FC7 CD in the drive (this is the CD I burned from the boot.iso)
I then powered up the system, and booted into the menu.
I then pressed the Escape key and at the boot: prompt, I entered in "linux askmethod"
I again saw the hang at "READY".

This serves to prove that it is not the SATA drive that is the problem with the FC7 boot process. And, it should prove that it is not the onboard SATA logic that is the culprit either (unless the BIOS has a bug in it that leaves it still active). It does not, however conclusively, prove that FC7 is at fault: it could still be faulty hardware or BIOS logic. I am doubting this is a faulty hardware problem since Ullrich (http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=815400&postcount=76) is also having a similar issue on completely different hardware and manufacturer.

Just to be specific, my goal is to install FC7 onto an single SATA drive with no other drives in the system other than the one DVD burner drive on the one IDE connector on this motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127236). The only reason I have the IDE in the system is to house the DVD iso long enough to use it as the source of the FC7 to be installed. After FC7 is installed onto the SATA drive, I plan on taking the IDE drive out of the system since it is a noise source and the 320GB SATA drive is much more than adequate for my needs.

I will post to Ullrich (http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=815400&postcount=76)'s thread now to let him know that I'm having the same situation.

bgoodr

bgoodr
22nd June 2007, 04:54 AM
Another update:

I just verified that I could boot into a 32bit FC6 DVD and get past the "READY" hang. This is using the "linux askmethod" statement at the boot prompt. And this was with the onboard SATA controller disabled and the SATA drive still completely disconnected.

I then proceeded to reconnect the SATA connector back to the motherboard, and again attempted to reboot into 32bit FC6 DVD (inside BIOS I reenabled the "On-Chip SATA Controllers"). The "linux askmethod" boot process again worked just fine.

Just to see if it would work, I then directed the "askmethod" process to look at /dev/hdb1 drive for a harddrive installation, and directed it to the "isos" directory that is at the top level of the drive. It did not find the source. I suspect that is probably by design since the iso stored on /dev/hdb1:isos is the full FC7 and the currently running kernel is a FC6 kernel.

bgoodr

bgoodr
22nd June 2007, 05:08 AM
An attempt at booting Ubuntu 7.04 64bit CD (not the DVD) failed. Before booting, I selected the "Check CD for defects" menu entry. In the upper left hand corner it displayed:
Loading /casper/vmlinuz....
and then displayed a loading kernel progress bar dialog box. That dialog box then hangs at 3%. A few seconds later (20 seconds?) another dialog box pops up that reads:
I/O error
Error reading boot CD.
and then provides a Reboot button. At the same time as the second I/O error dialog box, it displayed this line:
isolinux: Disk error 80, AX = 4200, drive 9F

I figured it was just a bad burn of the CD. So, I tried a different disk (this one called the Alternate 64bit disk), and this time I managed to load Linux, but after it loaded the whole screen went blank and I see the cursor blinking at the upper left corner of the screen. After a while, I heard the drive power down so the Linux kernel inside Ubuntu 7.04 must be hung again.

bgoodr

bgoodr
22nd June 2007, 05:26 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-379037.html says Ubuntu 7.04 is in beta and has bugs. Oh well, this is about Fedora anyhow and trying to boot Ubuntu was just a data point. May still be a general problem with Linux not handling this hardware.

lmo
22nd June 2007, 06:02 AM
Re: Post#1 ... Grub ... blink blink blink

When I had something backfire causing that, I did this:linux rescue
To check that it is really the right partition, you can make use of <TAB> in grub:grub
grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>find /vmlinuz-<TAB>
grub>quitIf it printed your kernel, then that is the correct boot partition.

To set up grub to boot:grub
grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>setup (hd0)
grub>quitAssuming that the boot drive is the first drive and the boot partition is the first partition.
If it is not the first partition, then the above must be adjusted accordingly.

Grub drive/partition naming style:
(hd0) - first drive
(hd0,0) - first partition on the first drive

bgoodr
22nd June 2007, 06:46 AM
I filed a new bug against the Fedora kernel: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=245286

I think I'm justified since this is really feels like a kernel issue and not a anaconda issue, but who knows.

Imo, I see your post. I'll respond to it now separately.

bgoodr

bgoodr
22nd June 2007, 06:50 AM
To check that it is really the right partition, you can make use of <TAB> in grub:grub
grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>find /vmlinuz-<TAB>
grub>quitIf it printed your kernel, then that is the correct boot partition.
How does one get to the GRUB prompt from within the anaconda screen without first booting the kernel? By anaconda screen, I'm talking about the install software to which I can hit the Escape key to see the "boot:" prompt. I believe the grub command you are talking about is only available after the kernel has actually booted to some init level, say, single-user mode.

bgoodr

stoat
22nd June 2007, 12:58 PM
Hello again bgoodr,

Rescue installed system
Boot from local driveThere is also a statement below the menu about using the TAB key to add options. When I do that, I see a line of editable text that begins with "vmlinuz ...".You can add lmo's linux rescue command to the end of that vmlinuz line that you see after pressing the <TAB> key at the Welcome to Fedora! menu. In fact, you can add any boot option there. I am embarrassed to say that I did not realize that until yesterday. I am so used to the traditional boot prompt menu that I never noticed the <TAB> key thing on the new F7 menu. My <ESC> key method to abort to a boot prompt was not wrong, just unnecessary.

Also while you're trying things, try some of those hardware related boot options in the Fedora installation guide that I mentioned. That's what I meant previously by "hardware issues". I didn't mean that I thought your hardware is defective. For example, see what noapic or acpi=off or nodmraid or nopcmcia will do for you when added to the vmlinuz line as a boot option. I would read section A.5.2 of the guide and start trying some of those boot options one at a time. Also, try looking through your BIOS settings for things like, I don't know, RAID controller settings to disable or change maybe, etc.

lmo
22nd June 2007, 02:14 PM
How does one get to the GRUB prompt from within the anaconda screen without first booting the kernel? By anaconda screen, I'm talking about the install software to which I can hit the Escape key to see the "boot:" prompt.
At the boot: prompt type: linux rescue
When it gets to a shell type: grub

bgoodr
23rd June 2007, 04:43 PM
At the boot: prompt type: linux rescue
When it gets to a shell type: grub

Right, and there is the problem. Getting to the shell prompt. In order for a shell prompt to be available, the kernel has to have loaded first. When the kernel has loaded, one of the things it does is spawn a shell process (bash I believe) into which you can type commands, one of which is grub.

The hang is at "READY" now as described in my earlier post.

Thanks,
bgoodr

lmo
23rd June 2007, 05:14 PM
I just verified that I could boot into a 32bit FC6 DVD and get past the "READY" hang. You could use this DVD to get the boot: prompt; linux rescue; get to shell; grub.

bgoodr
23rd June 2007, 07:00 PM
You could use this DVD to get the boot: prompt; linux rescue; get to shell; grub.

Yes, you are right! Thanks! So at the boot prompt, and without executing chroot /mnt/sysimage, I did the following:

sh03.1# grub
<screen cleared>
GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing ... bla bla bla ]

grub > root (hd0,<TAB>
Possible partitions are:
Partition num: 0, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
Partition num: 1, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x8e

grub> root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

I then did the find command as you had indicated earlier which resulted in the /vmlinuz- being expanded as:

grub> find /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6<ENTER>
(hd0,0)
grub> quit

sh-3.1# <blink>

But note that if I do not boot off of the FC6 x86 DVD (not x86_64), and attempt to boot off of this SATA drive that supposedly has a freshly installed FC6 kernel and filesystem on it, I get a hang at boot during or after stage2. Hmmm since I plan on posting back with my full BIOS settings, I might as well dump the POST screen (what of it I can see before is scrolls off the screen):

SATA Channel 1 Disk : LBA,SATA I , 320GB

PCI device Listing ...
Bus No. Device No. Func No. Vendor/Device Class Device Class IRQ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 0 0 10DE 0369 0500 Memory Controller NA
0 1 1 10DE 0368 0C05 SMBus Cntrlr 10
0 2 0 10DE 036C 0C03 USB 1.0/1.1 OHCI Cntrlr 11
0 2 1 10DE 036D 0C03 USB 2.0 EHCI Cntrlr 5
0 4 0 10DE 036E 0101 IDE Cntrlr 14
0 5 0 10DE 037F 0101 IDE Cntrlr 11
0 5 1 10DE 037F 0101 IDE Cntrlr 5
0 5 2 10DE 037F 0101 IDE Cntrlr 10
0 6 1 10DE 0371 0403 Multimedia Device 10
0 8 0 10DE 0373 0680 nVIDIA Ethernet Bridge 15
1 8 0 104C 8023 0C00 IEEE 194 OpenHCI Cntrlr 10
6 0 0 10DE 0295 0300 Display Cntrlr 11
ACPI Controller 9
Verifying DMI Pool Data .............
Boot from CD :
GRUB Loading stage2...

Thanks,
bgoodr

bgoodr
23rd June 2007, 07:23 PM
...For example, see what noapic or acpi=off or nodmraid or nopcmcia will do for you when added to the vmlinuz line as a boot option. I would read section A.5.2 of the guide and start trying some of those boot options one at a time. Also, try looking through your BIOS settings for things like, I don't know, RAID controller settings to disable or change maybe, etc.

Thanks for your and imo's ongoing assistance! I will certainly try all of the kernel parameters you indicated plus the Fedora Installation manual section A.5.2 (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-bootoptions-hardware.html#sn-bootoptions-hwdetection) as well in a followup post.

BTW, I did attempt to <TAB> into one of the vmlinuz commands and issue "linux rescue", using the FC7 boot.iso CD, and got back to the hang at "Ready." prompt:

Loading vmlinuz.....
Loading initrd.img.....
Ready.
<blink>

I believe I've twiddled the BIOS settings that I "think" matter in various ways, but to no avail. Find attached a text file that show the BIOS screen dumps after manually typing what I saw on those screens into my laptop. After each screen indicates what changes I had made and why. Submenus are indicated by ">". Recall that this is the BIOS settings on the second Abit KN9 SLI board (my first Abit KN9 SLI board hangs in the BIOS flash utility I used from Abit, and am sending it back for a replacement for a different motherboard). At this time of this "screen dump", I have the second IDE drive disconnected from the Slave IDE connector and its power cord disconnected, but the Plextor DVD drive is connected onto the Master connector on the IDE cable. Only one SATA drive is connnected to the first SATA connector on the motherboard and it is connected and powered too.

Thanks,
bgoodr

bgoodr
23rd June 2007, 08:19 PM
Hi Stoat,

Below are my results of experiments with boot prompts on the Abit KN9 SLI motherboard.

Reference: Fedora Installation manual section A.5.2 (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-bootoptions-hardware.html#sn-bootoptions-hwdetection)

I used the F7 x86_64 boot.iso CD and hit <TAB> on the "Rescue installed system" prompt. The full boot line would be "vmlinuz initrd=init rescue" followed by a space and the the "Kernel Parameter" below. I tried them individually and not in combination:

Description Kernel Parameter Results
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disable all hardware detection noprobe Hang at "Ready."
Disable graphics, keyboard, and mouse detection headless Hang at "Ready."
Disable automatic monitor detection (DDC) skipddc Hang at "Ready."
Disable mainboard APIC noapic Hang at "Ready."
Disable power management (ACPI) acpi=off Hang at "Ready."
Disable Direct Memory Access (DMA) for IDE drives ide=nodma Hang at "Ready."
Disable BIOS-assisted RAID nodmraid Hang at "Ready."
Disable Firewire device detection nofirewire Hang at "Ready."
Disable parallel port detection noparport Hang at "Ready."
Disable PC Card (PCMCIA) device detection nopcmcia Hang at "Ready."
Disable USB storage device detection nousbstorage Hang at "Ready."
Disable all USB device detection nousb Hang at "Ready."
Force Firewire device detection firewire Hang at "Ready."
Prompt user for ISA device configuration isa Hang at "Ready."

What conclusions can I draw from this?

bgoodr

lmo
23rd June 2007, 11:26 PM
Referring to posts #24 and #31, I just wondered if there was a plan to try thegrub
grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>setup (hd0)
grub>quitto find out whether that would boot from the hard drive without blink blink blink

If not, there is an alternative one-time method ofgrub>root (hd0,0)
grub>configfile /grub/grub.conf
-- or perhaps --
grub>configfile /boot/grub/grub.conf

bgoodr
24th June 2007, 01:00 AM
Referring to posts #24 and #31, I just wondered if there was a plan to try thegrub
grub>root (hd0,0)
grub>setup (hd0)
grub>quitto find out whether that would boot from the hard drive without blink blink blink

Sure thing. A few days ago, I did just that when trying to boot into FC5. I get the same results now as I got on FC5. I tried again using my FC6 x86 DVD (note not FC7 which does not even allow me to get into single-user mode), and upon reboot I see:

[code]Verifying DMI Pool Data .........
Boot from CD :
GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
<blink>
[code]

and the <blink> is where the cursor is blinking and the system is hung.

I am going to try an Abit AN9 32X motherboard instead of the KN9 SLI just to see if it is Abit SLI boards in general that give Fedora problems. Reference http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=515958 for a post of someone who apparently succeeded in installing a 64bit distro on an AN9 32X.

However, thanks for the tip!
bgoodr

bgoodr
24th June 2007, 08:34 AM
I'm trying to get FC7 x86_64 installed onto a new (well new to me) Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32X (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=816750) motherboard that I just purchased. I'll report what I find on that thread instead of this one.

I'm going to just send the two Abit KN9 SLI back the the manufacturer. The Abit KN9 SLI probably works fine on Windows, but who knows since I don't own a stand-alone copy of Windows anyhow.

Thanks for everyones help (stoat and imo)!!!!

bgoodr

bgoodr
24th June 2007, 09:15 AM
I added a HCL List entry (http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=3879#review1) entry for the KN9 SLI, since I'm fairly convinced that it is bad meat. ;)

bgoodr

oldkawman
7th August 2007, 09:26 PM
Not sure if this is the same issue caused by BIOS ACPI issues. I have this with several AMD socket 939 boards. They will install fedora fine, but then will not boot. You can usually disable ACPI and or APIC or both in your BIOS, then you will have an ACPI related error or two as you boot, or add this to your boot loader

linux apm=force noapic acpi=off pci=noacpi

Since I was doing a clean install, never got to the first boot, I had to start over. When you boot from the install DVD, press F4 and use the above or during install add it to the boot loader options. It will remain there even if you install a new kernel.

On my epox ep-9npa3 ultra, I can disable ACPI in the BIOS if I run an athlon 64, but not when I install an opteron 180. That option is not available with that cpu installed. Same problem on a DFI infinity SLI board with the amd64 or X2 cpu installed, have to disable ACPI in the BIOS. Took a while to get it working, lots of searching in these and other forums.

bgoodr
8th August 2007, 04:58 PM
...add this to your boot loader

linux apm=force noapic acpi=off pci=noacpi

... When you boot from the install DVD, press F4 and use the above or during install add it to the boot loader options. It will remain there even if you install a new kernel.

I did not try setting those kernel parameters during the installation, but even that approach would have been beyond my pain threshold since each trial-and-error iteration would involve reinstalling all of the install DVD multiple times. IMO, the installation process should not be that difficult. I was "lucky" (if you can call it that) in that I had the option to swap the motherboard back for a different brand that just worked out of the box with F7, with no kernel parm tweaks.

My current theory is that that specific motherboard was bad meat, and I'm staying with that theory until someone can provide evidence to the contrary on that specific brand of motherboard.

BTW, I had tried all of the documented options in my earlier post (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=816503&postcount=33). By documented I mean in the Fedora Fedora Installation manual section A.5.2 (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-bootoptions-hardware.html#sn-bootoptions-hwdetection). Is there a complete documentation web site for all kernel parameters (not "download and pilfer through the kernel source").

bgoodr

Gurlan - Yachimata Instagram Photos - Aarschot Travel Photos