PDA

View Full Version : How to organize a gaming session in the Net

fossiili
10th April 2007, 07:26 AM
Previously I had Sabayon Linux in my computer but unfortunately lost it. Now I am using Fedora Core 6. As an inheritance I am trying to organize a community gaming session :cool: http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32795#32795
but that "project" has not proceded very well :confused:

The problem is that I have never taken part in any online gaming in the Internet. Instead of I know some historical war games like SPWAW, SPWW2, SPMBT, CM BO/BB/AK and have experience with PBEM. They are all Windows games and they are the reason why I have Windows in my computer.

From some discussions I have collected a list of game candidates for our session. Unfortunately the only one I knew of them was BZflag. I tried it twice and :eek:

Could you please give your opinion of some of the games mentioned below:

Abuse SDL
Americas Army
Battle for Wesnoth
BF2/CS/CSS/COD/DOTA mod/WOW
Cannonsmash
Cube 3
Natural Selection (a Half Life 1 mod)
Nexuiz
Quake 1 and 2
Savage aka SFE
Scorched 3d
True Combat:Elite mod for Enemy
Territory
UT 99 GOTY
Wolf ET

Is the game easy to learn?
Does it have some kind of tutorial?
Is it easy to install to Fedora Core 6 or to Gentoo and it's relatives?
Is it "social"?
While playing is it easy to communicate with team members?

pete_1967
10th April 2007, 09:56 AM
I only got experience from couple games but here's something:

Americas Army - Linux is no more supported, the client development was withdrawn about a year ago.
True Combat:Elite mod for Enemy - still in Beta and has some graphics and control problems
Territory
Wolf ET - good fun and runs flawlessly

Is the game easy to learn? - generally any game, especially FPSs are easy to learn, but hard to master

Does it have some kind of tutorial? - You usually can play offline against bots to learn the ropes

Is it easy to install to Fedora Core 6? - only need to run the install script - yes, easy

Is it "social"? - define social. They are games people play, not chatrooms or community forums

While playing is it easy to communicate with team members? - ET has voice options and ingame chat, so have the other FPSs so in general yes.

Just remember that which ever game you choose (why not to try each and all of them?), it will take some time before you start to see yourself towards the top of the scoreboard - you will be playing against people who spend hours a day playing it.

fossiili
10th April 2007, 02:36 PM
why not to try each and all of them?
I have tried to start that. The first step is to use Google to find
what of the usually many versions and modes to install
how to do the installing, "yumming" or other method and what special tricks are needed
were to find a simple description of the game suitable for a newbie
were is suitable server a newbie could start learning
how to go through the 10-20 pages of http:// Google has found
etc. etc.

DNB
11th April 2007, 06:09 AM
well U can start for looking for games on http://rpm.livna.org on the left side click games and it gives a list of the games and a short briefing next to that.

to install just open your terminal and type "yum install and game name from list" and hit enter (don't use the quotation marks though)

fossiili
11th April 2007, 01:06 PM
U can start for looking for games on http://rpm.livna.org on the left side click games and it gives a list of the games and a short briefing next to that.

Do you mean this: http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/i386/repodata/repoview/games.group.html
I did not find anything useful on it :confused:

pete_1967
11th April 2007, 01:37 PM
what of the usually many versions and modes to install - look for Linux installer. It really depends on game in which way it comes - check the documentation on the game's web pages for exact installation instructions

how to do the installing, "yumming" or other method and what special tricks are needed - see above

were to find a simple description of the game suitable for a newbie - is there any? First of all, it depends on what type of game you're looking for, second, every game is suitable for newbie

were is suitable server a newbie could start learning - depends on game, but most have not 'newbie' servers, you just need to practise offline (run server on your own desktop - practically all games have this option) or jump in and learn as you go (better way)

how to go through the 10-20 pages of http:// Google has found - by clicking 'next' after you've finished reading first set of results

If you have Livna repos enabled (do forum seacrh for how to do that), you can open 'Add/Remove Software' and search for 'fps' or 'shooter' and you'll get few from there.

For Enemy Territory, go to http://www.splashdamage.com/?page_id=14 and download Linux version, then in terminal, run the installer and it'll do the rest.

Last: Don't expect to get the answers to your questions unless:
a) you're more specific in your questions and
b) have actually tried to solve your problem first and got stuck

fossiili
11th April 2007, 02:04 PM
Thank you all for the advice. As usual, my problem is the time and the resources. Although I am retired I have many other hobbies and things to do than surfing in the Internet. And about "resources", a grandpa having one clear eye to stare at the display.

I already have a set of 15 games mentioned people might like of. I try to organize a poll but the technical problem is that there can be only 10 items (games) in the poll. So 5 must be deleted from the list. I'll go on :D

fossiili
11th April 2007, 03:02 PM
Scorchead 3D seems to be a nice game. Unfortunately
[root@localhost ukki]# yum search scorchead
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
No Matches found
[root@localhost ukki]#
Other possibilitie to install it?

pete_1967
11th April 2007, 05:54 PM
scorched3d.i386 40.1d-1.fc6 extras
Matched from:
scorched3d
Game based loosely on the classic DOS game Scorched Earth
Scorched 3D is a game based on the classic DOS game Scorched Earth
"The Mother Of All Games". Scorched 3D adds amongst other new
features a 3D island environment and LAN and internet play. At its
lowest level, Scorched 3D is just an artillery game with two+ tanks
taking turns to destroy opponents in an arena. Choose the angle,
direction and power of each shot, launch your weapon, and try to blow
up other tanks. But Scorched 3D can be a lot more complex than that,
if you want it to be. You can earn money from successful battles and
use it to invest in additional weapons and accessories. You can play
with up to twenty four other players at a time, mixing computer
players with humans. There's a variety of changing environmental
conditions and terrains to be dealt with.
http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

xscorch.i386 0.2.0-8.fc6 extras
Matched from:
A Scorched Earth clone
xscorch is a clone of the classic DOS game, "Scorched Earth". The basic goal
is to annihilate enemy tanks using overpowered guns :). Basically, you buy
weapons, you target the enemy by adjusting the angle of your turret and firing
power, and you hope to destroy their tank before they destroy yours.

scorchwentbonkers.i386 1.1-2.fc6 extras
Matched from:
Realtime remake of Scorched Earth
As the name suggests, Scorch Went Bonkers is a remake of the old PC classic.
However, many things were changed and the type of fun delivered by the game is
different. Where Scorched Earth puts emphasis on tactics and careful
calculations, SWB requires quick thinking, perfect timing and only one finger
for controlling your tank. The game is real-time instead of turn based.

You are misspelling the name.

Thetargos
12th April 2007, 01:50 AM
Could you please give your opinion of some of the games mentioned below:

Abuse SDL - Have no experience with this one

Americas Army - Have no experience with this one

Battle for Wesnoth - Interesting little, it gets a bit to get used to it, and multiplayer takes place in different maps, no compaign coop.

BF2/CS/CSS/COD/DOTA mod/WOW - Have no experience with this one

Cannonsmash - Have no experience with this one

Cube 3 - Doesn't run in x86_64 Linux (I really hate their guts for that), and to run the 32-bit binary some SDL deps are missing, so I'm screwed, and - Have no experience with this one (I'm afraid)

Natural Selection (a Half Life 1 mod) - Have no experience with this one

Nexuiz - Nice game, a bit odd on the weapons and even stranger its weapon balancing, but fun
non the less.

Quake 1 and 2 - You can get these to run quite well, either originals (pretty much the very same game that id released) or enhanced versions (basically to the renderers), you need to have a Windows copy and build the binaries from source (you can check the iculus.org site)

Savage aka SFE - Have no experience with this one

Scorched 3d - Have no experience with this one

True Combat:Elite mod for Enemy - Have no experience with this one

Territory - Runs very well and plays quite smoothly.

UT 99 GOTY - It may be a bit tricky to get installed, especially in newer distributions, where you have to export the SETUP_CDROM variable to point to the actual /media/UTGOTY (or some such) directory, instead of assuming /mnt/cdrom | /media/cdrom. One of my favorite games of all time.

Wolf ET - Same as with the Quakes, you can use the Windows version to install the Linux version. However someone at Raven was very cleaver and encapsulated the required pak files into a cab, so you will have to first extract the cab to be able to copy the paks to the right location when you are finished with the installer. Otherwise, it runs just fine.

Is the game easy to learn?
Does it have some kind of tutorial?
Is it easy to install to Fedora Core 6 or to Gentoo and it's relatives?
Is it "social"?
While playing is it easy to communicate with team members?

This depends a lot on the type of game and even down to the individual level. Only "social" games I know of the ones you listed are the COD/DOD/ET type of games, not to mention WOW and Savage (being MMOs and all).

The best way to keep in touch with team mates and even game members would be to use some type of external voice communication like TeamSpeak or Ekiga (TS has some limitations, particularly with "cheap" hardware, which doesn't support hardware mixing, as it is an OSS [Open Sound System] application, and while ALSA is able to use it, the application will claim exclussive lock of the sound device, rendering other apps mute). For all things Linux gaming, I can, however, recommend you two sites:

- Happy Penguin (www.happypenguin.org)

- Linux-Gamers (www.linux-gamers.net) This site even has a TeamSpeak server for members, very neat.

Edit

This is another great site:

Loki Installers for Linux Gamers (www.liflg.org) - you might even find Windows games installers to be installed under Wine, very nice site too.

fossiili
12th April 2007, 06:22 AM
Thank you!
Just now I must start driving 600 kilometers to my Summer cottage on the archipelago of The Gulf of Finland. I will stay there 2-3 weeks but after that :D

North Plainfield Instagram Photos - Concepcion - Rawanduz Photos