PDA

View Full Version : Unable to start Dovecot on FC6 upgrade

hvrossum
21st March 2007, 12:39 AM
HI,

After searching for an answer I am asking help.

I just upgraded my FC4 to FC6.
However dovecot won't start
(it gives me an error message on /etc/dovecot.conf line 14: Unknown setting : imap listen [failed]

line 14 in this file states:
imap_listen = (i also tried it with [::] but no luck)

I am able to send mail to the mailbox from the outside and am also able to send mail from the prompt to an outside addres.

Eventhough when I do Netstat ports 25 and 143 are not listening. (can I have them added to the ports listening, but how)

Thanks
Harry

u-noneinc-s
21st March 2007, 01:19 AM
dovecot worked for me without any tweaking, however I looked at the config and found this which might help

# Default values are shown for each setting, it's not required to uncomment
# any of the lines.

Mine looks like this (default, still commented)
#listen = [::]

In your example above you show no space after =

The explaination in the config says extra spaces and tabs are ignored, but I don't know if the space after = is mandatory and any additional spaces will be ignored or if even the one space will be ignored?

I also show listen and not imap_listen (FC6, dovecot-1.0-1.1.rc15)

William Haller
21st March 2007, 02:18 AM
There were a lot of configuration file changes in dovecot between fc5 and fc6, so I assume fc4 is even worse. Do a diff between your dovecot.conf and the dovecot.conf.rpmnew that should have been created and check each line to see what change needs to be made.

hvrossum
21st March 2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the help,

I noticed that my conf file had a different size as conf.rpmnew file. So I just renamed the files and tried again.
It works (am able to read my mail again through Imap, webmail and outlook)

Thanks for pointing me in de right direction

Harry