PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Adapter

rosey86
14th March 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to set up a system running Fedora 6 to act as a Samba server. Trouble is the server has a Netgear WG121 adapter - which, following an entire day of research on the net, experiments and frustration, has proved to be the least Linux friendly device in the world!

Could anyone please recommend to me a USB wireless adapter that will 100% work on Fedora 6 - no questions asked, no messing around, just plug and go!? I've reached the end of my patience with the Netgear dongle and I'm going to demote it back into my box of spare parts!

Thanks and sorry to be such a newb!

Brian1
14th March 2007, 11:35 PM
I don't know of any right now that can be bought and work out of the box on any Redhat/FedoraCore distro. There have been a few that use the orinoco driver but have never used them. Just about all USB wireless adapters will will use ndiswrapper but a few are Atheros based and use the madwifi package. Both can be install using yum to install. Search here on the installing the two using yum and rpms. Now they can be installed from source files but you need to install the kernel-devel-******.rpm that matches your current running kernel. Again searching on kernel-devel will describe alot about that. One thing to remember is if you upgrade the kernel then the driver for nic will need to be recompiled to work with the new kernel or new rpms through yum if you go that route. Search here on both and what it takes to do it. Many post on it.

Brian

Lou deMartelly
22nd June 2007, 03:28 PM
Rosey86
Me too! After stubbing my toe several times with out-of-the box attemps, I tried an Oinoco 2WIRE. "Linux Driver on CD" turns out to be a series of cut-and-paste instructions. Took Fedora 6 down and put up SuSe 9.2. Admin Manual says Wireless supported. It recognized the card and even went through a config routine, but no com with 2WIRE modem, and never got to the prompt for key. Know enough not to mess with kernal at my level. I'm an aps programmer, but don't like to mess with OS. Maybe there's something that can be copied out of SuSe that would help.
Lou deMartelly

rosey86
22nd June 2007, 03:41 PM
My solution.

I gave up on trying to make it work, too much frustration! I ended up 'cheating' and using an ethernet-wifi bridge. I received it this morning and it is working like a charm!

Thanks for your help on this issue, I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me as I struggle with the next phases of getting my server working!

:)

Lou deMartelly
23rd June 2007, 01:23 AM
What's an ethernet wifi bridge? Tell me and I'll try it

Instagram Europe | America Instagram Photos | Asia Travel Photos on Instagram