PDA

View Full Version : WoW

Monarch
2nd March 2007, 05:52 AM
is there a step by step guide for newbies on how to install world of warcraft? and if not can someone tell me how it's done?

hiberphoptik
2nd March 2007, 06:57 AM
well you have a few choices:

wine - free (might work, might not.. if it does work it might stop after an update, if it does not work it might start after an update)

cedega - not free ($15.00) will work and works very well

crossover - apparently works but not very well?

Back when i was a sucker and payed the monthly "rental" fee for a game I already purchased and owned I tried WoW.. after 10 days I got to level 47 and decided it was too easy, too small, and too cartoonish (If I didn't already invest 6 months into FFXI I may have felt different)

but now I have seen the light and play Guild Wars, its got its pros and cons... but it is a great game with no monthly fees

Monarch
2nd March 2007, 05:12 PM
ok i got wine but when i toss in the install sick the print on the install screen is so small i can't read it any thoughts?

Thecowking
2nd March 2007, 05:38 PM
ok i got wine but when i toss in the install sick the print on the install screen is so small i can't read it any thoughts?
You will need:
Microsoft true Type fonts
Mozilla gecko
Edit your wine registry as in the WineHQ appDB (i'd throw in the link but it's blocked from work)

Should see you ready to go.

(I've installed wine/wow about a million times now! Oh and wine > Cedega for wine. Cedega gives crappy frame rates I find and a lack of alt tabbage which I need to troll forums and Thottbot.)

Monarch
2nd March 2007, 05:46 PM
You will need:
Microsoft true Type fonts
Mozilla gecko
Edit your wine registry as in the WineHQ appDB (i'd throw in the link but it's blocked from work)

Should see you ready to go.

(I've installed wine/wow about a million times now! Oh and wine > Cedega for wine. Cedega gives crappy frame rates I find and a lack of alt tabbage which I need to troll forums and Thottbot.)

ok i'm a linux newbie i'm not sure where to get this stuff and i don't have a clue how to install software(been trying with limewire and NZBGet and winrar for days)

Thornlord
2nd March 2007, 10:46 PM
ok i'm a linux newbie i'm not sure where to get this stuff and i don't have a clue how to install software(been trying with limewire and NZBGet and winrar for days)

There are several user guides around. I really recommend the Fedora FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org/) which you will see along the top hyperlink bar.

Check out the Where to Find Answers sticky since it will give you a lot of information.

Good luck, keep at it and welcome to the club. Its a fun place to be.
T.

bob
2nd March 2007, 11:01 PM
(moved to Gamer's Lounge)

Thecowking
2nd March 2007, 11:19 PM
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=6482

The wine HQ app DB has a wealth of knowledge on this, Also spend about 5 mins on google, you'll find a few walkthroughs there,

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 03:39 AM
how do i install the true fonts from microsoft?

bob
3rd March 2007, 04:29 AM
You don't mention if you're using Fedora5 or 6, but check here (use the appropriate version) http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html (FC5 is a link on the right).

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 04:39 AM
i don't know i just downloaded the dvd of it last week

bob
3rd March 2007, 04:51 AM
Try this: Open a terminal, and type "cat /etc/issue" and see if it gives you a version number. Alternatively, many of the packages you've been installing should have ended in fc5 or fc6 and you can certainly check /boot/grub/menu.lst for what's on the end of the kernels you have. Again, 'fc5' means Fedora Core 5, while 'fc6' or 'zod' will be Fedora Core 6.

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 05:01 AM
ok i'm running fedora core 6 does that help?

bob
3rd March 2007, 05:09 AM
So, use that link and look up "Install True Type Fonts" on it. Edit: you should set up 'sudo' first, according to the instructions. Edit - Edit: This is even easier: http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/fc6notes.html#True

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 05:17 PM
ok thanks i've got the install text readable allthough the user agreement was illegibal but it won't eject the cd so i can install the next one

bob
3rd March 2007, 05:23 PM
Right-click on the CD icon on your desktop and choose 'eject'.

snoze
3rd March 2007, 05:43 PM
Try to avoid KDE if you want ti use CD in fedora... GNOME automaticallt detect the CD but KDE suck in CD autodetection... this may be the one reason that GNOME is default in Fedora :cool:

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 05:49 PM
Try to avoid KDE if you want ti use CD in fedora... GNOME automaticallt detect the CD but KDE suck in CD autodetection... this may be the one reason that GNOME is default in Fedora :cool:

what? i don't understand what your saying or mean? i just put in disk one right click on the install exe and selected open with wine then clicked install once the installer showed but then it won't eject the disks to install the next one

snoze
3rd March 2007, 05:52 PM
thats why i am saying that try to use GNOME... It is very easy in GNOME to eject the disk than KDE. We all learn here from experience... so check this option also :(

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 05:55 PM
bob i tried that it was the first thing no options appeared all it did was make the folder with the cd content appear

snoze
3rd March 2007, 05:58 PM
check the left bottom corner :D

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 06:00 PM
ok i'm really sorry i don't understand i thought i had to open it with wine? how do i open it with nome or whatever it's called?

snoze
3rd March 2007, 06:11 PM
check the instructions http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=754477#post754477

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 06:23 PM
ok i switched to gnome and i'm getting the same error cannot eject volume it is in use by another apllication

Monarch
3rd March 2007, 09:06 PM
ok maybe i'm just the biggest linux idiot ever but this wow install is so frackin hard at one point i got it to let me eject cd's got as far as disk 5 before it froze now it will no longer allow me to eject i've tried installing it 6 times why is this so hard?

Thecowking
8th March 2007, 05:03 PM
Copy installer.exe and all the installer tomes to one folder on your HDD.

Run the installer with wine, should work.

Monarch
8th March 2007, 06:55 PM
ok do i make a folder eg wow and then make 5 subfolders for each disk? or just one folder wow and put all 5 discs into it?

Monarch
8th March 2007, 07:27 PM
ok i made a folder called wow put all 5 discs in it and tried installing and got the following error

the file "h\:desktop\wow\wow all\installer tome2 mpq" could not be opened because an error 102 occured. If this problem persists please contact blizzard tech support (openarchive excute)

Thetargos
8th March 2007, 07:58 PM
Nope... You install Wow by popping the first CD into your tray, and running the installer. May I suggest avoid "locking" the drive by:

Running wine from a command line.
Run the installer from "outside" the CD directory

In other words, something like this (actual names are different, this is only didactic!)

cd /* This will take you to ~/ */
wine /media/WOW_install/install.exe

The /**/ above are comments, don't type that!!
That should avoid locking the drive with

An open window in the CD directory
A shell stuck running a program (wine) within the mount point (CD directory)

If you can't eject the CD, try to find out which process is holding it back (it won't be wine!) by running:

/usr/sbin/lsof | grep /media/<wow_CD#_mountpoint>

It will return the offending process and you can simply 'killall' it ;)

Monarch
8th March 2007, 09:39 PM
ok i'll give that a shot just wish it wasn't so hard to install the game to be honest i'm terrified of having to download and install the updates i'm startin to have second thoughts on linux

Thetargos
8th March 2007, 09:51 PM
Problems with the CDs are often the cause of other programs rather than the ones involved (like gamin-server, a file monitoring tool). Besides, you're trying to run a foreign program on Linux, so it is NOT Linux' or Fedora's fault...

Yes, WoW happens to run, but getting it to do so can be tricky (well not really, just the installation part, when you did not do it from DVD, like UT2004, installing it with the CDs is a pain in the rear).

Thecowking
9th March 2007, 10:56 AM
ok i made a folder called wow put all 5 discs in it and tried installing and got the following error

the file "h\:desktop\wow\wow all\installer tome2 mpq" could not be opened because an error 102 occured. If this problem persists please contact blizzard tech support (openarchive excute)
That is strange, that's how I always install it these days, it's just a lot faster I found. I've never seen an error 102. Have you looked on the WoW website to pin down what the error means? Also, it might seem odd, but you can ask in the WoW tech forums. the blues can't help, but there's a fair number of WoW gamers who use Linux, they may be able to help.

Thetargos
10th March 2007, 01:26 AM
Were you able to install, Monarch?

Monarch
10th March 2007, 01:40 AM
no not as of yet unfortanatly i think i've tried everything just using windows so i can play WoW but thanks for asking