PDA

View Full Version : Booting hangs on hp dv9005us laptop

dimensionerror
16th January 2007, 06:25 AM
I haven't been able to completely boot fedora 6 on my laptop. Windows is still working correctly, but fedora hangs after a certain amount of time when I try to boot it. As far as I can tell the hang is related to how long the computer has been running since a boot/reboot. If I let grub timeout to boot fedora, it gets to loading portmap, but if I hit enter to jump past the boot wait, it gets to loading hpiod. (maybe i have these backwards) If I try it with interactive, i only ever get a few done. Does anyone know what's going on and if it can be fixed? ( I had a similar problem with ubuntu, but i never asked what was wrong.)

my laptop has a amd 64 x2 processor and 1024mib ram. Sata harddrives and optical drives.
I'm dual booting with windows and fedora right now, but fedora still hasn't booted for me.

looptooner
22nd January 2007, 05:07 AM
try editing the grub command line to include the parameter noapic

This may not be a complete fix, but it got me past the boot - there are some USB IRQ problems

My machine is dv9000z.

You can also try nosmb (which disables the second processor core).

dimensionerror
22nd January 2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks. I figured that out about a day ago when reading on other forums. Also, do you know how to use the wireless card? From what i've read from people with similar laptops when the graphics card driver and the ndiswrapper driver for the wireless card are loaded together there is a problem with them having the same irq and only one of the two drivers can be loaded at one time.

Cape Girardeau - Peravurani Travel Photos on Instagram - Estancia Travel Photos on Instagram