PDA

View Full Version : Question about original asteroids

Bachmann
13th January 2007, 01:21 AM
Hey, I just recently played an original arcade asteroids machine. The first thing I noticed is that the graphics of this were much more appealing then the clones I see for the PC. I realize this has to do with the fact that it was a monitor designed to make vector graphics.

I am wondering if anyone has made a clone which accurately simulated the look and feel of the vector graphics version of the game.

It is hard to describe, anyone who has played it (or any other vector graphics game) should know what I am talking about, the whites were just so vibrant and bright, not like the dull versions I see in the raster clones.

-Bachmann

Seve
13th January 2007, 01:23 AM
Hello;
Wow ...... now I have to go out and buy some stuff and have a smoke :)
Edit:
I'm sorry I know this didn't help you .... just brought back some latent memories for me :D

Seve

brunson
13th January 2007, 05:28 AM
That's because it's a true vector graphics machine. When the game draws the triangular ship the cathode beam actually draws straight lines that form the ship. All the computers you've seem emulate that game use a raster screen which imitates the lines using dots in a grid.

Coolerthanyou
13th January 2007, 05:36 AM
I've seen filters on the arcade game emulated in Mame which looked nicer than the original imo. On linux maybe even in xmame you could get a nice effect if you set a high resolution. Give me the raster shooters from the 90s any day over asteroids though.

brunson
13th January 2007, 06:00 AM
Tempest, dude. Second greatest arcade game ever, after Defender.

Perty
13th January 2007, 03:07 PM
I am wondering if anyone has made a clone which accurately simulated the look and feel of the vector graphics version of the game.

Why not play the real stuff with sdlmame which emulate the real arcade, and there you could get better antialiased vectorgrafics than the original.
You find the FC6 rpm at: http://dribble.org.uk/listrpms5.html

And if you have an original arcade you could download the rom from ie.:
http://www.rom-world.com/file.php?id=24519

Regards Perty

Plossl
13th January 2007, 03:26 PM
Tempest, dude. Second greatest arcade game ever, after Defender.
I'm partial to Tempest, but they were both fantastic. At the time, Tron was pretty good, but I'm not sure it would stand the test of time like Tempest has.

Bachmann
13th January 2007, 03:57 PM
wow, you guys did not waste any time, thanks for the tips ill try mame out and see how it looks!

Caacupe - Longsight Travel Photos on Instagram - Filiasi