PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Installation Help!

lottc
27th December 2006, 08:06 PM
=== WARNING SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT ===

I looked far and wide for help on installing FC on the PS3. I found only a few obscure guides for other systems and only one that applied to Fedora. So, I made a site dedicated to running FC on the PS3.

http://www.fedora-ps3.com

A simple guide is there, but I hope to incorporate custom kernels, install scripts and even a yum repository to keep current with kernel releases (while probably not realistic until Linux 2.6.20 incorporation into FC6 or FC7 is released).

Anyway, your insights, corrections and contributions are all welcome.

-Lott Caskey

hiberphoptik
27th December 2006, 08:11 PM
very nice! short and simple :)

one question... will Fedora be able to see/mount the ps3 partition? because that would be a simple way to get all of my music from my file server to the ps3

1. boot into FC5 on ps3
2. copy mp3 files from file server to fedora
3. copy mp3 files from fedora partition on ps3 to ps3 partition on ps3

??

I am not sure if I want to put FC5 on now or wait to get ahold of YDL somehow

lottc
27th December 2006, 08:28 PM
very nice! short and simple :)

one question... will Fedora be able to see/mount the ps3 partition? because that would be a simple way to get all of my music from my file server to the ps3

1. boot into FC5 on ps3
2. copy mp3 files from file server to fedora
3. copy mp3 files from fedora partition on ps3 to ps3 partition on ps3

??

I am not sure if I want to put FC5 on now or wait to get ahold of YDL somehow
Because of the way the PS3 is segmenting its hardware, access to the PS3 is not possible. Linux actually sees the secondary physical partition on which it resides as /dev/sda1. I assume this is done to keep the protected content, well, protected.

However, access to such data can be done through the use of a common medium. Ie. Flash drive, SD card, CF card, MemoryStick or External Harddisk (FAT formatted). Once inserted or connected the PS3 and the Linux segment can both access it.

The downfall with YDL is that they are currently charging for their 5.0 version which include the PS3 support. I would much rather make Fedora an integrated part of the PS3 anyway...not to say the YDL isn't a great product but I have come to love Fedora... :)

-Lott

hiberphoptik
27th December 2006, 08:31 PM
yeah.. i would hate to transfer 60gigs of files thru thumb drives and usb devices tho :)

YDL does charge for their ps3 linux.. which is really lame IMHO, however I'm sure if I wait long enough it will show up somewhere on the internet... its linux after all... you cant charge money for it only the packaging and support of it (which i don't need) ;)

lottc
27th December 2006, 08:40 PM
I will simply be hooking my external HD to it and playing my music off of that. The 10GB partition I selected for Linux isn't nearly enough and having only 10GB for the PS3 isn't reasonable with all of the content that needs disk space.

I think they (YDL) are going to hold out as long as possible. They can charge all they want for their compiled package... They are only required to provide the source (which I haven't found on FTP their site yet). I think I'll be sending something to Linus and GNU later...I'm sure they don't like when companies profit without complying with their terms.

lottc
27th December 2006, 08:43 PM
Speaking of which, I just looked again and found it...

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-5.0-phoenix-20061127-PS3.iso

hiberphoptik
27th December 2006, 08:52 PM
yeah im actually grabbing that iso now :)

i found lots of torrents too but they were all going kinda slow, getting about 300kb/sec on the ftp site

hiberphoptik
27th December 2006, 09:20 PM
this raises some questions about YDL I used YDL about 10 years ago... anyone know:

1. is YDL rpm? apt? tar.gz based?
2. how are updates done (i know they invented yum, is it still the YDL standard?)
3. anyone else actually running YDL?

Promyshlennaya - North Vancouver Travel Photos - Albury