PDA

View Full Version : [FC5] Repartitioning and installing XP?

littlebigfred
25th December 2006, 07:43 AM
Hello

I'd like to add XP to a test host that has FC5 installed. I'll have to repartition the HD to make room for XP, install XP, and then somehow recover Grub so I can dual-boot. FWIW, it's an old PC, so it can't boot from USB, only the CD or HD drives.

Is there a HOWTO that explains how to do this step by step, so I don't screw up and end up with a broken PC?

Thank you.

mndar
25th December 2006, 08:20 AM
I am not sure there are many HOW TOs on this subject

Some important points that you have to consider are
1. The first partition will have to be a Windows partion ie a ntfs or FAT32 one.
2. As for the GRUB, that can be taken care of easily

Please post the output of fdisk -l .

littlebigfred
26th December 2006, 10:35 AM
Some important points that you have to consider are
1. The first partition will have to be a Windows partion ie a ntfs or FAT32 one.
2. As for the GRUB, that can be taken care of easily

Thanks, I'll see if I can leave the Linux partition first, install XP on the second partition, and recover Grub.

rrkss
26th December 2006, 07:50 PM
I did this 3 or so years ago, and what little I remember is as follows.

First, you will need to create a FAT32 Partition for XP from linux. XP is very picky and won't install on a second partition after linux unless the partition already exists. You can always reformat that partition as NTFS from the XP install later on. The easiest way to do this is to use QTParted which you can get from yum. Then use your linux rescue disk to replace grub or you can use the xp bootloader to boot linux (I've done both ways).

Good luck.

Bristol Travel Photos on Instagram - Madrid Photos on Instagram - Labo Instagram Photos