PDA

View Full Version : wireless wont connect on startup only later... With help

avianrr
21st December 2006, 12:31 AM
This is what I've got...

toshiba laptop with ar5005g wireles card running fedora core 6
trying to connect to a Linksys broadband Wireless-G router

The router name is "Night" the ssid is "NightWire" It's using 128 bit WEP encription. running on channel 5 with broadcasting turnd off.

this is what iwconfig shows me for my current config (encription key changed for security reasons)

ath0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"NightWire"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.432 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx Security mode:restricted
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/94 Signal level=-95 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:110 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

iwlist encryption shows the following

ath0 3 key sizes : 40, 104, 128bits
4 keys available :
[1]: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx (104 bits)
[2]: off
[3]: off
[4]: off
Current Transmit Key: [1]
Security mode:restricted
Authentication capabilities :
WPA
WPA2
CIPHER TKIP
CIPHER CCMP
Current key_mgmt:0x3
Current cipher_pairwise:0x10
Current cipher_group:0x4

durring boot it says trying to bring up wifi0 but fails. I found a program called Wireless assistant that if I select my router (if it shows up in the list since broadcasting is off) it'll connect just fine. If I try ifup wifi0 from the command line I get nothing... any ideas are welcome.

Also my laptop has a button to turn the antenna on and off. does anyone know if theres any support for that? Or support for if I move in and out of range of my router?

thanks

ZeusZon
21st December 2006, 12:56 AM
Wireless assistant
Are you using KDE?

I have the AR5005g and I am using NetworkManager with GNOME. (NetworkManager just needs enabling, and is installed with FC6-GNOME. Unsure about KDE)

I would recommend switching off wifi on boot and letting NetworkManager or Wireless Assistant to manage your connections.

Buttons for wireless on and off, unless functioning after install, it is awkward to get going or impossible without indepth knowledge.

avianrr
21st December 2006, 01:35 AM
I was just gonna post that I found info on network manager here http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/network-manager/
and that seams to work pretty good. Still dosn't like when I push the antenna on/off button though...
My problem is that now it wants to use gnome keyring and I dont want to have to enter the keyring password evertime I log in. On the otherhand without it I have to enter the WEP key every time I log in.
Wouldn't happen to know a way around this?

ZeusZon
21st December 2006, 01:55 AM
Good to hear things are working out for you.
There is an automated progress. There are instructions around these forums. Have a search, some recent information on automatic keyring is around.
This will not work though if you are using automatic login on boot.

Kibondo Travel Photos on Instagram - Portsmouth Photos on Instagram - Kitchener