PDA

View Full Version : Another YUM problem

kgkast
19th December 2006, 06:47 PM
I run SETI@Home on a desktop. This morning I checked the BOINC Manager and SETI did not appear to be computing and judging from the Messages column, it appeared that it had not been computing for several hours. I looked at the System Monitor and yum was eating up 85% of the CPU time. I did have the automatic updates enabled. Since I wasn't quite sure what was going I did nothing for about three hours. I decided to kill yum and SETI is computing again and nothing bad seems to have happened (yet). Could someone possibly explain this behavior?

On another note, who does one contact to set the time on this site? It says it is PST but it shows the same time as my location which is in Mountain Standard Time.

Thanks,

Ken K.

Jman
20th December 2006, 02:39 AM
If you did install yum-updatesd, the update checker thing (not the nightly yum cron job), it does check every hour or so. Unfortunately it still is resource hungry.

I don't see how that could peg the CPU for hours, however. Possibly it got stuck processing dependencies.

You may want to not do automatic updates, and when you do them manually check how long they run.

kgkast
20th December 2006, 08:56 PM
Jman -

Thanks for the reply. I also decided that manual updates were best and turned off the automatic feature.

Ken K.

Oslo - Gold Coast - Yerevan -