PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft / FC6

Moif
29th November 2006, 08:46 AM
Morning.

Will WoW work on FC6 out-of-the-box (with GFX drivers installed of course) or will I need to yum the latest Wine? I tried this on FC5 a while back but got lost when I had to manually patch Wine.

Thanks

Thetargos
30th November 2006, 01:20 AM
Latest offiical Wine should be all you need, as the needed patches are already included upstream.

stanjam
30th November 2006, 05:52 AM
I was able to play WoW on Fedora Core 6 using Cedega. Also on Wine, but I had some problems. Nothing that shouldn't be easy to fix. The only problem I had with CEdega is I can't play much with the video settings or my system will freeze.

Moif
30th November 2006, 08:07 AM
Latest offiical Wine should be all you need, as the needed patches are already included upstream.

Great stuff, thanks.

Moif
4th December 2006, 01:35 PM
Confirmed as working. Make the changes to the config.wtf as described on the winehq page and you're ready to go.

Sl1k
8th December 2006, 10:00 AM
I am trying to get WoW to work on FC6 through Wine.. so far I have been able to install it.. however when I go to modify the config.wtf file its not there.. if I run the game I see the initial movies and then it freezes my system.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Sl1k
9th December 2006, 07:54 AM
I got wow working.. onlly got one problem.. my graphics are all fubard.
But at least its working now.. Now just need to conquer the graphics issue.

Sl1k
10th December 2006, 07:45 AM
Confirmed as working. Make the changes to the config.wtf as described on the winehq page and you're ready to go.

I have done all this and I can load up WoW but the graphics are all messed up.. I have all updated drivers for my vid card. Someone in a Fedora IRC channel told me "arrg. dont use aiglx or the composite extension if you want to run wow. thats asking for trouble." But i have no idea what that means. WoW loads and runs.. I get to the Login screen but no fonts are visible and the coloring and FX are all discombobulated.
:(

deepfreeze
16th December 2006, 09:37 AM
I guess they mean that you have to disable the desktop effects in order to play the game.

Thetargos
16th December 2006, 06:11 PM
That and if the performance is real bad, you should also disable desktop effects in that case.

Moif
4th January 2007, 04:42 PM
Make sure you make the changes to the config.wtf before starting the game!

Gonesolo
8th January 2007, 06:55 PM
Running WoW using Cedega on FC6.

Runs great full screen 1280 x 1024 with all details full.

Have beryl installed and working like a dream, but I disable Beryl and go back to metacity to run WOW (although I've forgotten a few times and it's still run great)

Aifel
30th January 2007, 04:49 PM
Im having trouble with WoW on Wine as well. I set it up so that it SHOULD work on wine, but then a pop-up comes up saying 3D Acceleration couldn't be started. I'll try turning off desktop effects and seeing what happens...

AndrewtTheArt
10th February 2007, 03:57 AM
Sl1k, type in a shell "desktop-effects".

Click disable on the resulting window

Yonezawa - Dundalk Travel Photos - Palmerston North Instagram Photos