PDA

View Full Version : FC6 install quits partway thru - can't get it to go

futz
30th October 2006, 02:34 AM
OK, first off I've installed with this DVD on another box, so the disk is fine. I'm not a total noob. I've run Fedora since FC3, as well as Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Zenwalk, Sabayon, Mandriva and other distros on various machines.

The problem box is pretty vanilla - just a simple Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G mainboard with a gig of ram and a P4 3.0GHz CPU. It presently has Windoze XP, Fedora 5, Sabayon 3.0 and SUSE 10.1 installed. I want to blow out the FC5 and fresh-install FC6.

What's happening is the graphic install starts and is fine up till it starts X. The screen goes black and the mouse cursor appears (and works), and then everything just stops. The mouse cursor continues to work, but nothing else. It still responds to the keyboard, so I can CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot.

So I try it in text mode. It's fine up till it starts anaconda and lights up the blue install screen. Then it stops doing anything. It still responds to the keyboard, so I can CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot.

On both attempt types, when it stops working, I can flip to other screens and see what it was doing. The last four INFO's are:
:Display mode = t
:Method = cdrom=//hdc:mnt/source
:anaconda floppy device fd0
:no /tmp/fcpconfig; not configuring zfcp

and in the other screen, the last 3 lines are:
<6>device-mapper: multipath round-robin:version 1.0.0 loaded
<6>device-mapper: multipath emc: version 0.0.3 loaded
<5>audit(1162172934.818:3): audit_pid=758 old=0 by auid=4294967295 subj=system_u:system:r:anaconda_t:s0

If it means anything, I run an NVidia NX6600GT video card which the installer incorrectly detects as a FX5900.

futz
30th October 2006, 03:15 AM
Hmmm... I got things moving by plugging in a PS/2 keyboard (just left the usb one plugged in so I could switch the KVM to type this in Ubuntu) and starting with a "text noprobe" option. Most likely the "text" part wasn't necessary.

It's installing now. :D

Las Cruces Photos on Instagram - Kolomyya Instagram Photos - Kalamnuri