PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 6 test 3 Review in 2 Parts

partha
17th September 2006, 05:55 PM
Hi all,

A review of Fedora 6 Test 3 is now available at www.partha.com. Overall it gives you my impression of this test release. Please feel free to comment here or send me emails.

Please note that it is not an installation guide. This is a review. However, if you read the articles carefully, you should able be able to install it on a machine similar to mine. :)

Thanks,

Partha
www.partha.com

Seve
17th September 2006, 06:09 PM
Hello:
Very nice .. thanks :)

Seve

Firewing1
17th September 2006, 06:15 PM
You are right, the eye candy isn't ready yet BUT if you use 32bit installs (which I highly recommend: 64bit has many bugs and disadvantages to be used IMHO) you can get compiz working seamlessly very quickly if you have a ATi card, and if you don't it's also just as easy to get XGL installed (my howto shows you how to do both in about the same amount of time)

FC6 is also focusing on Xen virtualization, and it's a big new feature that if you can take advantage of, is very nice to have.

Other improvements include the new hashing for GCC which improves speed, the new font set, Gnome 2.16, improved hardware support and inproved suspend support, the new kernels, and of course all the new software that comes with it!

Firewing1

powereds
19th September 2006, 03:17 AM
nice review.
i think i'll wait for the final release before switching to fc6.
thanks.

sirkware
19th September 2006, 04:56 AM
FC6 Test 3 works perfectly on my laptop with AIGLX. The new GDM is really cool! c",?

neighborlee
20th September 2006, 08:57 PM
FC6 Test 3 works perfectly on my laptop with AIGLX. The new GDM is really cool! c",?

works sweet here as well on my 64 bit amd system...the lagging restart/boot problem is being fixed I hear,,I loveD the GDM yes , very nice touch fedora ;)

I'v e not played tons with it, but so far it seems stable etal.

cheers
neighborlee()

Seve
20th September 2006, 09:02 PM
I loveD the GDM yes , very nice touch fedora ;)

Hello:
Yes it looks great IMO, so much so I copied it over into my FC5

Seve

Dan
21st September 2006, 12:41 AM
Hello:
Yes it looks great IMO, so much so I copied it over into my FC5

Seve Methinks Mairind will be quite tickled to hear that! ;)

Kingsley
10th October 2006, 11:52 PM
i appreciate your review. i'm still pondering on whether or not i should switch from ubuntu to fc6 in a few weeks.

Dan
11th October 2006, 03:29 AM
i'm still pondering on whether or not i should switch from ubuntu to fc6 in a few weeks. Short answer, admittedly biased? Yes.

Dan

d_GeNeRiT
11th October 2006, 09:01 PM
Does FC6 still use the dreaded gnome-mount from FC5? Geez I really hope not, that gnome mount caused tons of headaches on wine and crossover office. This is why I went back to FC4.

Any feedback regarding this issue?

Firewing1
11th October 2006, 09:51 PM
I think so, yes.
Firewing1

partha
12th October 2006, 10:53 AM
Does FC6 still use the dreaded gnome-mount from FC5? Geez I really hope not, that gnome mount caused tons of headaches on wine and crossover office. This is why I went back to FC4.

Any feedback regarding this issue?

I am afraid so yes, it is here to stay.

AlphOmega
14th October 2006, 05:10 PM
Nice review, thanks for sharing with us

d_GeNeRiT
15th October 2006, 05:54 AM
I was saddened to hear this news about gnome-mount. Im sick of that crap! Tons of people wrote to the Fedora developers to get rid of it but they dont want to be bothered. I decided to give other distros a chance since I was gonna have to reinstall anyway. I tried Suse 10.1 but it stank and gave me errors galore after update. Then I tried the "other distro" and I must say THose Ubuntu people where right all along! It works so much better than Fedora!

I suffered from CPI (Contempt Prior to Investigation) all these months and I must say Fedora has taught me so much about the command line - but against my will!! I would never recommend FC to a person as their first Linux, no way! - If I wasnt a techie I would have thrown FC out the window after the first week of bugs and workarounds....Saying Bye-Bye Linux and back to cuddle up with Bill Gates.

I appreciate Stanton Finley's comprehensive guide because without it a noob would be dead in the water - no mp3, no java, no flash, no repos for updates, no NTFS support.

But after installing Mepis Linux 6 (based on Ubuntu) all the crap u have to do on Stanton's site worked right out of the box except for mp3 which was a package u install and tada! No configuring repos, Its all set up already! But the hardware detection is where it really outshines FC, even my goddamn microphone works now - And that was even booting off the Live CD, it detected all my hardware instantly. Not bad for a 650MB installation CD that also doubles as a live CD.

Im not gonna talk your head off about it, All I say is definately give Mepis Linux a shot before upgrading to this "more popular, better promoted" FC6. And let Flatcap buy his own beer since NTFS works right out of the box on Mepis.

Dan
16th October 2006, 02:59 AM
HERETIC!! Get the torches and the pitchforks!! :D

Seriously, really glad to hear something is finally going right for you, d! There for a while it looked like you'd busted a mirror somewhere. :p

Dan

d_GeNeRiT
16th October 2006, 05:09 PM
In reference to my previous post,

That may have come off a little to strongly. I was mad at gnome-mount and ranting and raving about that. FC is a great distro in my opinion and I certainly think that fedoraforums community is the most skilled and helpful. Even if I started using Gentoo I would probably search this board for questions.

So I apologize for some of that strong language, I am still using Fedora and I havent wiped it or anything. I am just gonna wait before trying out FC6 -- I really want to thank everyone on this board that has helped me -- you guys taught a windows guy how to use Linux from scratch, not an easy task! I doubt even using the "other distro" I mentioned would be as easy if I didnt already know so much about linux from what I learned here.

AlphOmega
19th October 2006, 03:01 AM
Lol, I have a laptop that refuses X to work with fedora core. Ive gotten well cheesed off as well. I decided to trash fedora on the laptop in a bit of rage. Installed ubuntu on it and like you said with mepis, it was out of the box and x confugured correctly. ut the grass isnt greener as this may be ubuntus advanatge, but i just didnt get on with the distro. i then tried SUSE and Mandriva, but just could survive without Fedora. Finally sat down for most of a day and manually trashed about in nano untill i got X to start. Its not till i tried to leave fedora, that i realised that its really is the distro for me, even though it can be an arse sometimes.

So I wouldnt feel bad about having a rant, I havent done so here, but I have plenty of other places

North Cowichan Travel Photos on Instagram - Rumoi Photos on Instagram - Dalai Travel Photos on Instagram