PDA

View Full Version : FC5 x86_64 on Compaq V6002

sinkhole777
13th September 2006, 07:45 AM
Hello all,

I am a newbie. Just installed FC5 64bit on my compaq. (Turion 64 dual core) The instal proceeds fine, identifies the Display adaptor correctly, etc. It proceeds thru first boot, user setup etc, then goes blank screen on me. I have installed four times now, selecting several monitor settings, and then accepting the default "unknown monitor" at 800 x 600.

I assume that I have set up the display incorrectly, but do not know how to address this with a blank screen.

Is there an equivalent to MS Safe mode?

Thanks in advance for help

glennzo
13th September 2006, 10:36 AM
Are you using grub as a boot loader? If so, choose the Fedora entry on boot up and press 'e'. Then select the 'kernel /boot/vmlinuz' line and press 'e'. At the end of the line add a space and the number 3, press enter and press 'b'. This will boot Fedora in level 3 which will present you with a command prompt and will not go to graphical mode.

sinkhole777
13th September 2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks Glennzo, I will try that pronto!

Is there a simple way to make my installation use the same display config that is used during the install process? During the instal there was no probs with the display....full screen, clean as a whistle.

I just want it to work so I can play with it :-)

sinkhole777
13th September 2006, 02:05 PM
I'm currently in windows looking for info. I've found this info :
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html#install which relates the problems with FC5 distros and Nvidia drivers, and the fixes....

Great...before I can even have a decent look at this OS, I have to learn command line functions!

Not a good start for Linux I'm afraid. Of course If i spend as much money on books as It costs to buy OEM Windows I could spend hours and hours learning to use Linux at the command line.

Shame really... the Knoppix live CD runs fine, and it looks very pretty

Sorry all, but this is why Linux is not mainstream yet. I've not given up yet, tho!

anyway, maybe the above link will be useful for somebody! Back to the books to learn command line for me!

glennzo
14th September 2006, 02:28 AM
From the command line, as root, (su -) and root's password, type without the quotes, "/usr/bin/system-config-display". That should allow you to setup your display. You will probably need to know your monitor model, horizontal and vertical refresh rates, and max resolution. Most of what you see should be pretty intuitive. I'll try to help as much as I can. Lemme know.

sinkhole777
14th September 2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks again Glennzo.....I'm over my little tantrum now :-)
When I get home from work I will follow your instructions and let you know the result

sinkhole777
17th September 2006, 05:37 AM
Well, I purchased a computer Mag with a copy of Suse 10 enterprise bootable dvd as the cover disk, and with the exception of several minor updating issues..(do the update three or four at a time instead of all in one session) it has gone on beautifully. It has correctly identified the cpu as an AMD Turon (FC5 didn't) and has installed the correct video drivers as part of the instal, picked up and imported my windows installation and replaced the Fedora dual boot setup with the Suse dual boot. So Far , So Good. The networking is working fine through the lan cable. My last remaining hurdle is getting the Wifi adaptor up and running, and then I will be able to work towards full migration to Linux as main OS.
So Due to my inexperience, I am switching to The suse distro from here, and will purssue assistance for the WiFi issue on the relevant forum.

Thanks again for your help with this Glennzo..Keep up the good work

Warburg Travel Photos - Guelmim Travel Photos - Tuapse Instagram Photos