Seve
27th August 2006, 12:20 AM
Hello:
An interesting tidbit:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1854232,00.html

Seve

bob
27th August 2006, 01:42 AM
The key to it's use was the ancient engraving translated as 'Intel Inside'. Apparently it was also running Microsoft Bob, which is why it ended up in the drink to begin with.

Legomax
27th August 2006, 01:58 AM
ahhh! the atlantians ran microsoft, no wonder they sank, but i only thought that their security was porous...

uth
27th August 2006, 03:53 AM
hidden inscriptions show that it is the world's oldest computer, used to map the motions of the sun, moon and planets.

Sounds like it was running an old version of SETI-at-home.

Legomax
27th August 2006, 05:08 AM
betting it was smaller and more powerful than what the US Gov ran during WWII. it was too fast for the ancient inhabitants to keep up with, so they employed the help of Bob Microsoft (upon which the recent microsoft bob is based) to slow them down. it worked for the first few hours, but the inhabitants refused to purchase any anti virus or spyware software, stating that "on our old rig, it was unnecessary to protect our hardware, this one is slower and bulkier, should it not be inherently more safe?" the people of atlantis were wrong sadly, and their computers slowed to the point that their CPs were unable to boot. the infostructure of atlantis was destroyed, and then the barbarians invaded from the north, looting the city of Rome.... Er... Atlantis... then it sank. into the water. (i was not saying that rome was atlantis, that theory has been long since debunked, i was just a little confused.)

Legomax
27th August 2006, 05:11 AM
i wonder how slow it was... imagine guessing what it would say next:
E? ear... earning?
oh... ER... Erect? Erg?
ERR? i dont know any words that start with that...
-15 min later -
OH! ERROR 404 PAGE NOT FOUND! i knew it!