PDA

View Full Version : How to access fat32 partitions on BIOS RAID 0?

electron1948
20th August 2006, 01:21 PM
Have tried all the suggestions on this site and others to solve this problem - none of them work properly for me.

I have FC5 on a single IDE drive and XP (using FAT32) on a BIOS RAID 0 drive. Under FC5 (in Computer) all the FAT32 RAID partitions are shown but I get "You are not privileged to mount the volume" if I try to onpen any of them. Since FC5 can see the partions, surley I only need to get the correct privilages in order to acess them? I shouldn't have to do a Mount or should I?

The trouble with doing a mount is that I have to choose either SDA1 or SDB1 (one or other drive in the RAID) and then I am only accessing one of the two drives in the mirror - OK for a read access but a *huge* danger for a write operation. Even if I do the mount for one partition I still get the "Privilege" error if I try to open that partition in "Computer"- so something is not right!

Can anyone clarify to a Linux newbie to to overcome this situation? Many thanks.

Craig Pemberton
21st August 2006, 04:27 AM
Try to mount as root.

ccrvic
21st August 2006, 08:20 AM
I have FC5 on a single IDE drive and XP (using FAT32) on a BIOS RAID 0 drive.

What is a "BIOS RAID 0 drive"?

Under FC5 (in Computer) all the FAT32 RAID partitions are shown but I get "You are not privileged to mount the volume" if I try to onpen any of them.

You need to add the "user" flag to your fstab entry. "man fstab" will show you how.

Since FC5 can see the partions, surley I only need to get the correct privilages in order to acess them? I shouldn't have to do a Mount or should I?

If you don't mount a partition, you won't be able to see the files on it.

The trouble with doing a mount is that I have to choose either SDA1 or SDB1 (one or other drive in the RAID) and then I am only accessing one of the two drives in the mirror

Then you don't have a RAID.

What is this array you have? Does it have any hardware associated with it at all? How did you create it?

It sounds to me like you have a software RAID, and you haven't got the right software installed in your Linux system to read it.

Vic.

electron1948
21st August 2006, 09:28 AM
Try to mount as root.

Have done that and can see the partition. But I have to mount either one or other drive in the RAID as FC5 does not see the drives as a pair as it should for a RAID. This might be OK to allow a read from that drive but no way am I going to write to one drive of a RAID pair!
I need to mount the drive as a RAID, it shows correctly in Computer, ie one folder for each partition rather than two (one for each drive)

electron1948
21st August 2006, 09:46 AM
What is a "BIOS RAID 0 drive"?
A RAID array that is managed by the CPU and a driver from Silicon Image, specifically the SI3112. Mine has two drives in mirrored config. XP recognises it as what it is and uses it quite happily - it appears to throw Linux into a tizzy.
You need to add the "user" flag to your fstab entry. "man fstab" will show you how. If you don't mount a partition, you won't be able to see the files on it.
Fully understand that but I can only mount SDA1 or SDB1 (the two drives in the RAID.) As mentiond above. FC5 only offers me those to mount and mounting only one drive of a RAID pair is suicide! I'll have a look at 'man fstab' - thanks.
Then you don't have a RAID.

What is this array you have? Does it have any hardware associated with it at all? How did you create it?

Oh yes I do, as mentioned above - XP works with it and has been for two years. There is no seperate contoller. All the required HW is on the motherboard and it uses the CPU, BIOS and a driver. FC5 *appears* to see it correctly at the 'Computer' level as it shows a single folder for each partition, if it saw it incorrectly it would show two identically named partitions, one for each drive.

It was created by setting an option in the BIOS.

It sounds to me like you have a software RAID, and you haven't got the right software installed in your Linux system to read it.
Vic.

Yep - that's probably what it is - but how/where do I get "the right Sw"? I have searched and searched. This is all very frustrating. I keep hearing that Linux is so much better than Windows and I'm willing to be convinced but so far it's an uphill struggle!

markkuk
21st August 2006, 10:02 AM
A RAID array that is managed by the CPU and a driver from Silicon Image, specifically the SI3112. Mine has two drives in mirrored config.
The thread subject says it's RAID 0 but here you say it's RAID 1 (mirrored). Which one is correct?

You can use the dmraid driver included in Fedora Core 5 to access many types of BIOS-based fake-RAID arrays. "yum install dmraid" will install it if you don't have it already. "man dmraid" shows the documentation, see also the README file in /usr/share/doc/dmraid-<version>.

electron1948
21st August 2006, 10:41 AM
The thread subject says it's RAID 0 but here you say it's RAID 1 (mirrored). Which one is correct?
Oops. Sorry that should be RAID 1, mirrored - was tired when I posted.

You can use the dmraid driver included in Fedora Core 5 to access many types of BIOS-based fake-RAID arrays. "yum install dmraid" will install it if you don't have it already. "man dmraid" shows the documentation, see also the README file in /usr/share/doc/dmraid-<version>.

OK thanks for this info . I'll dig into this and see if I can resolve the problem myself now.

Kirovsk Travel Photos on Instagram - Boulder Travel Photos on Instagram - Onsong