PDA

View Full Version : Playing some BattelField

Adesso
10th August 2006, 12:48 PM
Hey all

I too must say I am glad to finally see a gaming section on the forum, and would like to know what games are currently able to run on FC5.

I was alos wondering if Battelfield 2 would be a possible game to play on my FC5? Glad to see that SimCity 3000 is going, that one I am installing tonight. As for other simulations like Civ 4?

Soon I hope that I would not have to bother with microsoft anymore.

iamroot
10th August 2006, 05:38 PM
Hey all

I too must say I am glad to finally see a gaming section on the forum, and would like to know what games are currently able to run on FC5.

I was alos wondering if Battelfield 2 would be a possible game to play on my FC5? Glad to see that SimCity 3000 is going, that one I am installing tonight. As for other simulations like Civ 4?

Soon I hope that I would not have to bother with microsoft anymore.

Well. The answer to your question is both yes and no. Firstly, native support for games in GNU/Linux basically sucks. Only games from two publishers will work natively in GNU/Linux. ID Software and Eidos. So Doom 3, UT2004, Quake 4 all work fine. Anything from other game publishers such as EA do not work.

There is a "sort-of emulator" called WINE (www.winehq.org) which might run a few games here any there, but its mostly a hit-and-run thing. World of Warcraft has been reported to work though, abeit with some tweaking. There is also a WINE-derived product called Cedega which is meant to allow Windows games to run on GNU/Linux. Much better than WINE but still quite a hit and run scenario. (Note: Cedega costs $5 a month in subscription)

To cut things short, Civ4 does not work and neither does Battlefield 2. Until game developers start providing GNU/Linux support, gamers will still have to retain a Windows install to play games on.

Craig Pemberton
10th August 2006, 07:27 PM
There is a game called freeciv, may hit the spot.

Heroes of Might and Magic III works.

Wolfienstein Enemy Territory works.

prboom in the extras repo gives you the original doom with opengl rendering, it's incomplete but certainly brings back memories!

yum groupinstall "Games and Entertainment" =D

sentry
10th August 2006, 08:26 PM
If you're a hardcore gamer who wants the latest games with the best performance than Windows is your gaming platform. The simple truth is that few games run natively under Linux so we're forced to resort to Wine or Cedega (both good products) which is entirely hit and miss in terms of getting a game up and running. Once it is up and running (it can take some time and effort to get this to happen) it's been my expereince that they often under perform compared to Windows.

Many games are using DirectX these days and not OpenGL which is a pitty and a ***** to get up and running under Linux. If you're lucky the devs may have an OpenGL option (WoW) but there's absolutely no gaurantee that it will come close to performing like it does under DX (WoW).

Most of the games that come in the "Games & Entertainment" group are not fantastic. Yeah, they're games which means they're better than nothing. But seriously, the sure as hell ain't cutting edge. (1988 called, it wants its games back)

I guess it's up to you. If your happy with the selection of Linux games out there then delete that Win partition otherwise be prepared to dual boot.

pparks1
10th August 2006, 09:00 PM
be prepared to dual boot.
Or if you can swing it, keep 2 computers on hand. 1 for Windows based gaming and 1 for linux. If you are like many other people, you will likely find you use Linux more this way then you would with a dual boot. That is what I do. But I realize that not everybody has the luxury of running multiple computers.

Adesso
11th August 2006, 10:05 PM
The two PC solution seems to be the only option right now.. Wonder if a DirectX thingy could ever be made for Linux ..

iamroot
13th August 2006, 07:00 AM
The two PC solution seems to be the only option right now.. Wonder if a DirectX thingy could ever be made for Linux ..

It has. Cedega is it.

sentry
13th August 2006, 02:09 PM
Cedaga's DX solution is not a magic bullet for this problem, it's still buggy and in need of tweaking like other aspects of that software.

My understanding is that it translates DX calls into OpenGL calls. It's not really running DX per se...

I know it's a little nit-pickey but it's an important difference.

ibbo
14th August 2006, 01:22 PM
Cedega cost $$$$ though does it not

Ibbo

31st August 2006, 01:27 PM
not cvs cedega ;)

read and download here. (http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO+Cedega+CVS)

its the up2date version of cedega, with out its preety installer.

Padang Photos on Instagram - Cyprus Photos on Instagram - Dublin Photos on Instagram -