PDA

View Full Version : GP2X: ultimate linux retro-gaming

wintermute000
3rd August 2006, 03:55 AM
Just thought I might spread the word: GP2X

Handheld console, runs embedded linux (ie perfect for homebrew), native DivX/Xvid playback w/ TV out, uses SD cards and AA batteries, runs retro emulation like a dream (picture perfect Neo Geo, Megadrive, SNES coming along nicely, PC Engine, Atari, C64, u name it), also ported open source games like Doom (yes Doom on a handheld), Flashback, Hexen, etc.

Got mine a week ago and I'm hooked. Best of all its linux so you can go to town, ppl have already written tonnes of nifty little things (samba servers etc.).

Well its not Fedora gaming but its linux all the same ;) The linux factor alone is worth the admission price

On a snide note, its pretty funny going through forums and seeing ppl asking how to write scripts to start stuff ("what does chmod +x mean" LOL, not being arrogant or anything but to us existing linux users its pretty amusing to see)

3rd August 2006, 02:21 PM
hay.. as long as its getting out there.. getting ppl interested in this technology and then hay.. they be less scared of it. and be able to make the change..

Viva La GP2X :D

urmom9388
3rd August 2006, 02:39 PM
ya i heard a lot of good things about it but got a psp in the end cause of wifi but there is also tons (more) homebrew for psp such as vnc ;p

wintermute000
3rd August 2006, 04:43 PM
linux users scared of a handheld linux console? LOL

Yeah there is more stuff for PSP at present but don't forget this baby has only been out for 6 months. In 6 more months all the 'fully featured' homebrew stuff will be rolling off the production lines. Being linux (with all the attendant advantages in terms of development), assuming enough ppl get onboard, it can only go up.

Yeah wifi would really have made it complete!!! (wish it had at least ethernet... actually I believe TCPIP is in there, just don't know enough about how to actually use it without any ethernet ports, never used ethernet-over-usb before)

and for us kids who grew up with 16 bit consoles and metal slug in the arcades, its pure manna

Invader02
4th August 2006, 02:54 AM
also ported open source games like Doom (yes Doom on a handheld)

I have doom on my iPod :P. Seriously, there's doom out for everything. I could even grab a version of doom right now for my calculator :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

Nice wikipedia link with all specs on it. 2 Overclockable arm processors. Well so much for that DS i bought..

ccrvic
4th August 2006, 01:00 PM
wish it had at least ethernet... actually I believe TCPIP is in there, just don't know enough about how to actually use it without any ethernet ports, never used ethernet-over-usb before

Get the extension cable that gives you a USB host port. Then plug in a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor. Instant Ethernet :-)

Vic.

wintermute000
4th August 2006, 01:31 PM
what does it come up as? eth<x> as normal? does it install directly connected routes automatically in the routing table, you configure it via ipconfig etc. as per normal TCPIP?

ccrvic
4th August 2006, 01:32 PM
what does it come up as? eth<x> as normal?

I don't know yet. I'm still trying to justify the outlay :-)

Vc.

lazlow
4th August 2006, 05:05 PM
If the ethernet works could not one use usb wifi? Something like a linksys wet11?

Lazlow

wintermute000
5th August 2006, 10:29 AM
yeah but the usb port is not powered

ccrvic
5th August 2006, 10:58 AM
yeah but the usb port is not powered

This (http://www.artaylor.co.uk/~richard/gp2x/) seems to be the cheapest/easiest way I've seen to get powered USB host ports...

Vic.

wintermute000
6th August 2006, 02:26 AM
easy for sure, cheap it ain't ;) but cheers for the link anyhow! perfectly happy for now thrashing the **** out of Sengoku 3 and Last Blade (go Neo Geo)

perry753
6th August 2006, 07:36 AM
hey, post some pics!! It looks awesome!!

6th August 2006, 03:48 PM
go Neo Geo

Dam Straight :D:D

iamroot
7th August 2006, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know if the GP2X is sold in Singapore? Been trying to get one but my mum won't let me use her credit card to make an online purchase.

Houma - Chengdu Photos - Djenne