PDA

View Full Version : Help with simple graphics

charlie13
12th June 2006, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post this -- if there's a better place on this site, please let me know.
I need to create some very simple graphics, like graphing a parabola, and I'm not sure how to do it. I use Fedora at home, and I'm more comfortable using Perl, but I've also used C++. So, I'd basically like pointers to online sources for more information on this, including possible recommendations for forums that are better than this one to post such questions on. Any advice welcome, thanks.

jbannon
12th June 2006, 09:40 PM
Try using Gnuplot.

Mat
12th June 2006, 11:58 PM
or ImageMagick

Mat

charlie13
14th June 2006, 10:38 AM
Thank you both for your replies. Actually, I can see now that the problem is more complicated than I thought originally. I need to be able to draw more complex images, including fractal images like the mandelbrot set -- the parabola I was talking about above is used in an iterative process to show stable and unstable behavior in a simple system.
Since it involves drawing multiple (potentially, a lot) of lines on the graph after the parabola, I think gnuplot might not work, and I'm looking into ImageMagick, but I'm not quite sure. I almost think I need to generate a window and draw on it pixel by pixel, since even this first problem requires steps like:
Graph parabola.
Draw y=x.
Draw lines connecting points on the parabola to points on the axes and y=x, potentially up to about 100 times.
Am I mistaken in thinking gnuplot isn't robust enough to handle this? Is ImageMagick? Is my conception about opening windows and controlling behavior by pixels a crazy one?
I'm asking a lot of questions, I know, and I really appreciate any more help. And thanks again for the prior help, I am still looking into both tools.

Mat
14th June 2006, 10:10 PM
drawing pixels one by one will be quite the resource hog..

I don't know about gnuplot, but ImageMagick should be capable of what you want

Mat

jbannon
14th June 2006, 10:19 PM
I think there is a Perl interface for Imagemagick and I believe there's also a Python interface and you might want to check out Imagemagick++ for the C++ interface. There's certainly a Python interface for Gnuplot that looks capable of doing what you want but you're starting to get a bit beyond me.

Scytale
15th June 2006, 01:26 AM
I wrote a similar program for my graphics calculator a while ago, I went the pixel by pixel root and I can confirm that it was incredibly slow, the calculator did have pretty pathetic resources when compared to a full on PC though (only about a mb of ram for one).

New Bern Instagram Photos - Kirklareli - Bulolo