PDA

View Full Version : Sound in mplayer

Zufrix
25th April 2006, 04:31 AM
I'm having trouble getting sound out of mplayer for dvd-playbck. Soundcard is a good old SB audigy. The strange thing is, mplayer can do sound for mp3's fine (although I'm mostly using xmms for mp3s). I can even watch ( and listen to) trailers from apple.com with the mplayer plugin. So why is it just not working for dvd playback?

I actually get either a staticky sound or a low pitch buzz depending on wether or not I turn on the 'Audigy Analog/Digital' switch in kmix. I'm also using alsa, generally, although I did try telling mplayer to use other sound drivers with no luck.

I even know that my speakers are working (5.1 setup) since I can control rear/front volume through my little hardware volume control knob.

Any suggestions?

imdeemvp
25th April 2006, 07:00 AM
You will find your answer here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=106220 reply to thread telling us if it works.

MAnix
25th April 2006, 02:49 PM
Im rather new to Linux but i found that i had a bit of trouble with playing cd's and dvd's. The sound didnt come through. THe sound was working for saystem sounds and mp3 but not the DVD, and this may be like your suffering. I found that the settings in kmix needed messing with. It seemed as if the channels are mixed up?? I had to unmute AUX and set it to maximum volume for it to work with my sound. After i did this i had joy. Maybe try fiddling some more with KMix and look at the ALSA drivers and DVD plugins for more luck. IT may help to do the above kmix settings whilst playing a DVD or CD to know when sound hits you. Plus Imdeevip's link really is useful, i found it so...

MAniX

Zufrix
25th April 2006, 03:42 PM
I did follow that link and what I hadn't done was install that package of codecs, still no change however. And btw my sound does work fine, just not for dvd playback. I do get a popup error now when I start playing a dvd that says something like "cannot find codec '<username>' in libvacodec... Now why is it looking for a codec with the same name as my username? sounds like it's a bit confused...

Zufrix
25th April 2006, 04:14 PM
*update*

Out of scientific curiosity I installed the videolan-client suggested in that post. I noticed in installed a bunch of other things and hoped that would help mplayer. It did not, however after significant fiddling with videolan I was able to get that one to work (sound was skipping, but I had to reduce (!) the sound buffer to compensate). I'm not as happy with it, it seems a bit more buggy (more prone to crashing, pref screen locks up often), but it will do what I need it to do :)

thanks for the help

Croatia Photos - Visakhapatnam Instagram Photos - Kyrgyzstan Photos on Instagram -