PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a preference?

Al3xanR0
24th April 2006, 04:26 PM
Viewing media on your worksataion has almost become an inherent secondary function of the modern Desktop. As if there wasn't enough tasks during our daily coputing endeavors to consume our otherwise valuable time. I thought it would be interesting, nonetheless, to hear the opinion of the community on what multimedia application is prefered. For instance, I have used Totem, Kaffeine, Ogle, Xine, VLC, Mplayer, Kmplayer to watch some of my favorite videos and DVDs. I absolutely love Mplayer, it supports streaming, multiple formats e.g. mpeg, avi, divx, wmv etc. In addition there are also a host of codecs that are supported. Do you have a preference? If so what is it? What do you like most about you choice?

LocutusOfBorg
24th April 2006, 04:35 PM
I agree with you about mplayer. I like the possibility to write a config file for a specific clip, to use the expand filter for placing the subtitles on the black band, to fix the channel order of the aac multichannel stream. Beside, I hate dvd menus, so I'm perfectly fine skipping them.
xine plays multichannel aac audio slow (you have to patch its faad code if you want to fix this) and doesn't handle well h264 in matroska files.
VLC on my FC5 doesn't work, anyway I don't use it much.

EDIT: xine, kaffeine and totem are somewhat the same... or better, xine-ui, totem and kaffeine are front-ends for the xine libraries. Shouldn't you make only one choice in the poll?

JN4OldSchool
24th April 2006, 04:38 PM
I dont do much video but when I do I stay with Totem-xine and Mplayer, they both work well. Audio however is one of my main uses. I can apprecieate the full function players like AmaroK but I have found Audacious to be exactly what I need. Not to be confused with Audacity, Audacious is a super lite-weight player forked off of Beep. It sits nicely in a corner of my desktop, is very unobtrusive, has easy to create playlists and just works great for me.

freak
24th April 2006, 04:47 PM
totem here.

cbonner
24th April 2006, 05:21 PM
Gotta be VLC, everytime!

Lluisanunez
24th April 2006, 06:04 PM
VLC plays everything

Linux The Great
24th April 2006, 09:56 PM
Mplayer for video files.

Xine for DVDs.

sailor
25th April 2006, 03:34 AM
xine backed up by vlc...

Firewing1
25th April 2006, 03:53 AM
I use totem(-xine) off Livna, and have mplayer installed so I can use Xine backend, I *think* gstreamer and mplayer plugins are included as I can play WMV / ASF, and I install w32codecs specifically for WMV v9. I like totem's interface.
Firewing1

ezzetabi
27th April 2006, 05:19 PM
mplayer, without GUI. It have the feature I like most, it works.

Shadow Skill
28th April 2006, 04:03 AM
I selected Xine because I tend to prefer xine based players, although I do tend to use Mplayer more often only because it works better most of the time. I think if VLC solved some of the bugs that have shot it to hell lately it would be a better player than Mplayer is, Xine really just needs to fix the aac issue and get h264 to work more correctly.

codergeek42
2nd May 2006, 07:30 AM
Totem for everything (Gstreamer 0.10 kicks butt), except mplayer for DVDs. :)

nank
2nd May 2006, 07:48 AM
My Mp3 and Movie is not work, how to my problem

axelseap
2nd May 2006, 03:30 PM
vlc doesn't play everything. try having it play a .rm or .rmvb file. i also use mplayer without gui, it works great and will play every single file i tell it to

Donanma Cafe - Mactan Channel Travel Photos - Kitchener, Ontario Photos