PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Conexant HCF working

j_falconer
30th March 2004, 07:44 AM
Hey,

I've been trying to get my Conexant HCF modem working in Fedora Core 1. I'm only new to Linux but I am dedicated to learning it and becoming involved with it - and dedicated on soon tossing out Windows. I am the designer and project manager on the LinuxSync project creating a general ActiveSync for Linux.
My modem has not been detected and is not working with generic drivers. I have tried some Linuxant drivers but they don't seem to work. My only choice left is to try the latest free Linuxant driver for my kernel - but for the free one you only get 14k bandwidth. I don't have the money to spend on a full driver.
Can someone tell me what I can do about this? Is there a way to fix it at all, short of writing my own drivers (way beyond my experience).

Joel

joking
31st March 2004, 05:38 PM
winmodems are a little tempermental it would be better to get a hardware modem. that would be an external or internal modem that uses a comport but provides all the activity itself, using none of the cpu's resources.

if this sites driver don't work

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/downloads.php

then you might try this:

however, check /proc/pci to see if it's seen by the os and just not configured properly. you'll see things like the ide controller, buses, network cards, and such. the modem may or may not be show up as the manufacturers type. if it's listed then write down the IRQ and the IO address from the file. You'll need that to set up scripts to recognize the modem. if it can be done at all.

also you can check the Hardware Browsers in the system tools menu, to see if it's alread seen by the system.

if you see it there it will tell you what port it's assigned to. to use it you must create a symbolic link for some programs . that would be done with the following command.

somesystem@localhost dev] ln -s /dev/ttySX modem

this will set up the symoblic like to the port identified by ttySX, the X being the actual port number.

good luck.

Pijijiapan Travel Photos on Instagram - Bajil Travel Photos - Santo Tome Travel Photos