PDA

View Full Version : Static electricity?

newbie_fin
4th April 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi all!
Oh well I'm not quite sure is this the right place to ask this question but I was just wondering does anyone know about any case where static electricity would have broke some hardware while one has been working inside the box? Never happenede to me atleast. I've know about static electricity like forever but I just got little more curious about it and went through a lot of tutorials that told you to be very carefull so that you don't break any delegate hardware while toutching them and stuff.
So... I checked one local store for anti-static electricity wrist band and found this (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=107834). It cost 7,1€ (little less than 10$??) so I thought "Hey, what the hell! I need to go get some other stuff from this store so while I'm at it I could pick that wrist band too."
But I guess what I'm saying is that is this whole static electricity thing just a way to rip off some pocket money from people like me or what?

jcstille
4th April 2006, 07:47 PM
I have found that it is always better to be safe than sorry. I know that a lot of the hardware is shielded, but things like memory, processors, and some of the smaller components on the motherboard to not have shielding. It also increases risk of failure if there is static electricity on a connection, such as an IDE connector or PCI connection. Those places are specifically coated with gold plating to conduct electricity and therefore might cause extra dangers. I have not had a problem either, but I always make sure I discharge myself on the case or other metal object around me before coming close to the very importatnt components, like processors, memory, and various cards.

John

wesetters
4th April 2006, 07:57 PM
just ground yourself with something metàl ànd don't stànd on a nylon carpet.

newbie_fin
4th April 2006, 09:15 PM
Well I suppose I will be little bit more carefull from now on. Though I have always tried not to directly toutch any cards components and I haven't actually never installed a processor but that day comes as soon as I get the money to build my dream come true box...
But anyways the question was really that do you actually know about any case were some hardware would have got broke because of someone not discharging himself before getting into buisines or not having one of those wrist bands or were standing on a nylon carpet :D ? You know how often these things actually happen? Surely paying 7€ for a pretty much solid quarantee (assuming you do know how to install what ever your installing) that the new and probably pretty expensive part(s) you bought wont get damaged isn't really that much. But but...

bob
4th April 2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, I've known ram to be fried with static electricity; it's pretty sensitive to that.

newbie_fin
4th April 2006, 10:13 PM
Ok, good to know. Well like I've said 7€ isn't that much for some more security... and I don't think those wrist bands are going to get borken or outdated very fast :D.

bob
5th April 2006, 01:16 AM
Actually, it's even cheaper for me. Prior to opening the case, I walk over to my wife and touch her on the posterior. If she screams, jumps and belts me, I know there's a static electricity problem. If she smiles, I put the computer aside for awhile...

daverj
5th April 2006, 03:17 AM
I've known esd to tank ram and even motherboards. It's only $10....2 trips to Starbucks. Better than needing to get new ram and/or a new board.

Dave

newbie_fin
5th April 2006, 07:54 AM
That's kinda what I thought too. And as there seems to be people how really know cases where electrostatic discharge has damaged ram and stuff so I guess it's surely a danger worth putting that 7€ for some protection.